Pre Surgery and Work

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dear All,

I am an American, in Thailand retired and am looking for work right now and working hard to rebrand myself, looking for a job, decide what kind of work I want to do and where, doing interviews, etc etc....I am moderate/severe-severe and am also in the midst of searching for where in Thailand to do the surgery.

I am afraid I get a job and then I probably do surgery and I am down from working for who knows how long--probably won't go over too well with an employer.

Kind of work I am looking at:
1) Teaching remote or in person
2) White collar work--office or remote

Variables:
1) Work could be in Bangkok where I live, another part of Thailand, another part of Asia or back in USA
2) Even a white collar office job could entail a bunch of travel or non office work
3) Could get a job that would require me to be on my feet more or slight physical work

Obviously the work I would be able to get back to soonest is remote work
Office work next soonest/easiest
White collar work with more activity/travel
Then something more physical on my feet

Any rough time frames post aortic valve to get back to work ?

Anyone else faced these issues and how did they handle them especially communicating with future/new employers ?

Thank you !

Last edited:
At least in the US, there’s 12 weeks FMLA (family medical leave act) but that requires a year on the job before it’s applicable. They can’t terminate employment if your leave is for medical reasons. They don’t have to hold the same spot, but you can come back to something equivalent.

And it’s illegal for them to ask health related questions in interviews. Even asking if someone is pregnant or planning to start a family is illegal. They can put a stipulation on the job of being able to lift 50 lbs or something if physical labor is required. They can ask if you meet that requirement.

But otherwise you don’t owe them any kind of warning. Will they warn you if they decide your position is no longer needed six months after you hire in?

As far as other countries labor laws around such things, I have no knowledge. I also assume contract employment is very different as well and it’s up to whatever is in the contract. But regardless, unless it means you cannot perform the job for which you are applying at the time that you apply, your health is your personal business.

Getting back to work varies. I was blessed to have six weeks paid leave so I took it. Remote work nowadays so if it happens again I could ease back in earlier. Some folks here have mentioned three or four weeks getting back into the flow. Driving, guidance used to be six to eight weeks for sternum healing. Varies depending on method of access though.

Last edited:
Thanks for the well thought out reply...
My thinking is to go for a job ASAP and then take a break when surgery is required -or-
Go for surgery ASAP and then try to reconnect with the momentum I had pre surgery

My doctors here, the ones I trust have advised to do surgery in a few months at most...

I imagine I would do a remote office/sales job here in Thailand for a USA or non Thai firm

Thanks for the well thought out reply...
My thinking is to go for a job ASAP and then take a break when surgery is required -or-
Go for surgery ASAP and then try to reconnect with the momentum I had pre surgery

My doctors here, the ones I trust have advised to do surgery in a few months at most...

I imagine I would do a remote office/sales job here in Thailand for a USA or non Thai firm
Whatever you decide, just know that you’re under no obligation to disclose when you interview, unless it is something that means you are normally unable to meet the physical requirements of the job. A one time procedure has nothing to do with your normal qualifications.

Thanks for the valuable advice.. Best thing is to go into surgery as strong as possible and hope for a minimum of problems during or after surgery..

Best to use the downtime for career development)

Hope you are doing well Pellicle. To your health)

If your job involves working remotely, you'll likely be able to return much sooner. Although much of my work involves being with clients, there are a number of activities that I can do online. I actually was returning some client emails and had one client phone call the day after my surgery, while in the ICU unit, and continiued to do so during my stay. By the time I was in the step down unit I was comfortable spending a couple of hours per day working on things, while reclined in my hospital bed, laptop on my lap. I was most definitely not going to take on anything which would cause me stress, but it gave me something to do to pass the time.

As far as working full time, I work for myself, so I was able to get back to things at my own pace and only worked until the point I felt like it. By week 2 after surgery, I was probably putting in 4-6 hours per day.

Hi
well I know you don't read what others (take the trouble and the time) to reply to you about, but you shouldn't assume others are the same as you.

I was answering the specific question of duration off working (not some other question, which is why I took the time to quote specifically what (of what you wrote) that I was replying to.

so when you say:
I am an American, in Thailand retired and am looking for work right

well "like ...yeah" ... its pretty frikkin clear you don't live in your home country.

Understood in a bit more complicated for me as far as work goes because I don't live in my home country

I know that its unwise to assume that; I don't remember that, but really (cue answers about you having a bad memory).

You just never seem to take on board anything others say. Giving you answers to your question is like the physics dilemma of "does a black hole actually destroy information", and has been since 2019.

Last edited:
If your job involves working remotely, you'll likely be able to return much sooner. Although much of my work involves being with clients, there are a number of activities that I can do online. I actually was returning some client emails and had one client phone call the day after my surgery, while in the ICU unit, and continiued to do so during my stay. By the time I was in the step down unit I was comfortable spending a couple of hours per day working on things, while reclined in my hospital bed, laptop on my lap. I was most definitely not going to take on anything which would cause me stress, but it gave me something to do to pass the time.

As far as working full time, I work for myself, so I was able to get back to things at my own pace and only worked until the point I felt like it. By week 2 after surgery, I was probably putting in 4-6 hours per day

Wow that's great to hear ! What if you are in job search mode and get a new job offer and then you are close to your surgery date ? Tell them you have (heart tell them that it is heart surgery) surgery and you will have to delay starting the job for ? weeks months ?) Thanks
Wow that great tp

Whatever you decide, just know that you’re under no obligation to disclose when you interview, unless it is something that means you are normally unable to meet the physical requirements of the job. A one time procedure has nothing to do with your normal qualifications.
Thanks man...I was thinking don't say a word until I have a job offer AND a date set for surgery

What if you are in job search mode and get a new job offer and then you are close to your surgery date ? Tell them you have (heart tell them that it is heart surgery) surgery and you will have to delay starting the job for ? weeks months ?) Thanks

I would not tell them. Your medical situation is private. If everyone told every prospective employer their entire medical history that would take up half the interview. This is especially true once we are 60. Everyone has a list of ailments of some sort. I really doubt that they even would want to hear about that. The reality is that you really don't know for sure when you'll need surgery. It might be 3 months or it might be 2 years from now, assuming you wait at least until you get another echo.

If you work remotely, you might be able to start back up part time after 2 to 4 weeks. I would say to do your best at your new job and not to let your medical condition get in the way of your goals and life in general. If living life as you normally would involves rebranding yourself and getting a job, then brand away and go for it.

If you get hired, have a goal of being totally focused on being your best self and pouring yourself into dong well at your new job. If they recognize the value that you add to the company, when the time comes for you to need a few weeks off, they will likely welcome you back with open arms. If it is a US based company, they might be required to take you back. In any event, even if the company can legally let you go, don't sweat it. Look at the experience that you gained as a net positive, which you can bring to the table for the next job.

Hi Chuck great info thanks ! I am getting a 2nd interview soon for USA company doing remote work so I am sure they will be able to work around my surgery if and when the time comes to work...I will NOT tell them it is heart surgery and just tell them I will need some time off for surgery....In 2018 I took a few months off from remote teaching to China (I was visiting the USA and hopping around a lot)...The company in China had no issue with me being gone for awhile as long as I kept them abreast of my availability)...

It's a tough call, I think. You have the right to privacy, but...

Will your prospective new employer forget that you kept this little secret and laid it on them after they committed by making you an offer?

Or

Will they appreciate your up front honesty and if they value you as a new hire and make the offer anyway, and then would work with you with flexibility to make the relationship work in the long term?

...and if they don't make an offer because of this, I might not want to work for such an employer anyway.

Good luck in any case!!!

Dear Eric,

Thanks for the well thought out reply ! I have read your message and I find it very helpful..Thanks for taking the time to compose it...How are you feeling and doing ? Regards

For what it's worth, I returned full time to remote consulting project 3 days after returning home. Prior to surgery, I told the client I might be out for 2 weeks for a medical procedure.
I suggest (as many times prior) to just get it done first. Then work on step 2.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I returned full time to remote consulting project 3 days after returning home. Prior to surgery, I told the client I might be out for 2 weeks for a medical procedure.
I suggest (as many times prior) to just get it done first. Then work on step 2.
The getting done is slow going here for two reasons
1) I have to pay for everything
2) Not sure where to get it done

Latest posts

Back