Pre-Op Fatigue

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vkernus

My bicuspid aortic valve has become symptomatic. I get short of breath doing normal every day tasks. Is is normal to be tired almost all the time. I mean I wake up in the morning tired. I feel like I can take naps all day. After I eat a meal I become bone tired. My surgery is about a month off and being this tired is effecting my ability to work.

Victor

If you feel like this is a dramatic change, please call your surgeon or cardiologist and get some advice. It may be that your valve has worsened more significantly than expected. This is definitely worth a phone call!

It could also possibly be depression and anxiety as the whole prospect of such a huge event in our lives can alter our chemistry enough to cause symptoms of tiredness. It doesn't sound like it in your brief description, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Get back to us and let us know what the doctor says. Yeah. Please call them today!! :)

Best wishes.

Marguerite

Thanks Marguerite.

I called my Cardiologist's office and am waiting to hear whether they want to push up my Cardiac Catheterization that was scheduled for September 10.

Victor

I mean I wake up in the morning tired. I feel like I can take naps all day. After I eat a meal I become bone tired.

Victor

This was pretty much the way I felt. Prior to surgery and after my Heart Cath, the Surgeon told me if I did nothing, I would live only two years more however, after surgery the same Surgeon told me my valve was so severely calcified it was nothing short of a miracle that I even walk in the hospital.

Don't mean to scare you but timing is everything in these situations. In fact, I wanted to postpone when given my date but decided to run with it. Glad I did.

-Alistair

Victor, you don't say how well you are sleeping, and that, too can be a factor. Many of us here have felt edgy and anxious enough about surgery to take something to help us sleep in the weeks leading up to surgery - and the first few after, as getting comfortable can be a bit of a problem, then, too. Just thought I would throw that one into the mix :D

For now I do sleep fairly well, or at least as well as I usually sleep. I don't take anything to get to sleep, nor would I want to at the moment. I don't know how much of what I am feeling is Physiological or Psychological. My symptoms convinced me to see the Cardiologist. I had worked outside in some intense heat for 5 hours cutting up trees with a chain saw. Found myself sweating more than usual and very short of breath. I atributed that to dehydration. Couple of days later while working outside, I got short of breath very quickly and went to the hospital. That is how this whole Oddesy started.

Two weeks ago I helped my daughter move into her condo at school, lifting only one box (helping her boyfriend carry up part of a desk) and became very short of breath. At that point, I ceased ALL strenous and even marginally strenuous activity. Now, I feel short of breath going up and down stairs, I getting tired sitting at the computer working for prolonged periods (2 hours) and feel a need to take naps during the day.

I am getting very antsy. I hate not being able to do and act normal for me.

Hi Victor ~

I'm still waiting to get my bicuspid aortic valve taken care of. I told my surgeon that i'll sleep all night, but by 11:30 A.M. i'm falling asleep while sitting in front of my computer. He just shrugged and said that it is a normal symptom to expect when you have a bad aortic valve and didn't seem worried about it.

Cardiologist's Office just called. My Doctor does not want to take chances with my symptoms and has re-arranged his schedule to get me in for the Cath next wednesday. Depending upon the results of the cath, my appointment with the surgeon may or may not shift forward.

Sounds like a sound idea to me!

Good idea yes. That said, I am very nervous. I am not looking forward to this at all. Logically, I realize there is a serious need for the test and the surgery. Emotionally, I don't feel prepared. Not sure why but I don't. I don't think I will ever be emotionally ready for the surgery.

If I may, a couple of post op questions:

Are you awake when the breathing tube is in? Are you awake when it is removed?

How many drains are left in and how long are they left in for? Is it uncomfortable when they are removed?

Good idea yes. That said, I am very nervous. I am not looking forward to this at all. Logically, I realize there is a serious need for the test and the surgery. Emotionally, I don't feel prepared. Not sure why but I don't. I don't think I will ever be emotionally ready for the surgery.

How many drains are left in and how long are they left in for? Is it uncomfortable when they are removed?

My experience with the breathing tube was I was not awake when it went in and I WAS when it came out. Not everyone is awake when it comes out from what I've read on this forum. My surgeon had told me to expect to be awake when it came out.

I had only one drainage tube and it was uncomfortable coming out but not painfull.

I was not awake when the breathing tubes went in. There were two tubes that came together to one outlet similar to a horseshoe. I was awake when they took them out. They were not really uncomfortable of course by then so much is going on that your focus is somewhat divided. When they did remove them days later; it was a quick discomfort but I would hardly call it pain.

Stay on top of all this as time is of the essence. I went into this with a peaceful soul either way the outcome. If I was the slightest bit nervous, it was more for my wife and parents. I would be asleep...they are the ones waiting for hours. Now, just over a week and I feel so much better; having it behind me is the greatest relief.

-Alistair

The breathing tube was bad, but I was in and out so much, I only noticed it for a short time. I don't remember any particular thought about the breathing tube coming out. The drainage tubes and pacemaker wires were uncomfortable but painless when coming out. The worst part for me was the catheter, and the feeling of going to the bathroom 1st time afterwards. What you have to remember however is that all of these things are temporary and very worthwhile in the grand scheme.

Good luck with all you are going through now.

Eric

I vaguely remember them removing the breathing tube as it was just at the point I was beginning to wake up. I hardly noticed I was still so out of it. I had one drain tube, the pacemaker wires, and the catheter. They were all removed in a couple of days. All were removed fairly easily and it wasn't too uncomfortable. I felt the pacemaker wires the most but as I was still on pain meds nothing was really that bad.

Is a pace maker common practice? I was not aware that I would be connected to a pacemaker. Bear in mind that I have not yet met with my surgeon and have ALOT of questions for him already. This forum has been a godsend for me.

The pacemaker wires are there only in case there are some heartrate concerns. Sometimes there are and those just make it easier to address. I had no problems and mine were out in 2 days.

Eric

Is a pace maker common practice? I was not aware that I would be connected to a pacemaker. Bear in mind that I have not yet met with my surgeon and have ALOT of questions for him already. This forum has been a godsend for me.

Yes, an external pacemaker is common practice.

Yeap, pacemaker wires are left in precautionary. You really are going to worry yourself sick. After meeting with my Surgeon; I left with a good feeling and a great impression of him. From that point on, I just sort of left it up to him. I was offered all kinds of information but at that point I felt ignorance was bliss...and it was. I had a very short wait time (less than two weeks). I am more curious now that it is over.

Back