Pradaxa--Coumadin Alternative

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It'll be a very long time, if ever, that it gets approved for mechanical valve use. Until then, we wait, watch and anticipate.

I turned on Fox News yesterday morning and Dr. Isadore Rosenfeld was just finishing speaking about a new anti-coagulant drug but I never heard the name. Did anyone listen to him yesterday and was this the drug?

Thanks.

I saw there was no mention of it being used for valves but wonder about for afib. Any chance FDA might approve it for that use or just for joint replacements?

If I may add something from Europe side. Currently Pradaxa is registered for hip and knee surgery as replacement for heparin hospital use. This June atrial fibrillation indication was presented at Barcelona cardio meeting and process of registering this indication is currently under way in USA. Once it will be approved process will move to Europe.Will they connect fibrillation and mechanical valve I don’t know but I am sure this will replace warfarin in the future.

My cardiologist & I talked about replacements coming down the pike for warfarin.
I told him I'd let a lot of others be the guinea pigs for any new drug. He agreed, for mechanical valvers. A-fib patients are another story.

IF it ultimately is approved for afib use, that will make choosing a tissue valve easier for those who are on the fence thinking they may end up on coumadin even with tissue valve if they develop afib. Any new effective, safe alternatives are wonderful. We'll have to wait and watch.

IF it ultimately is approved for afib use, that will make choosing a tissue valve easier for those who are on the fence thinking they may end up on coumadin even with tissue valve if they develop afib. Any new effective, safe alternatives are wonderful. We'll have to wait and watch.

On the same token, for those that face multiple reops, it makes a mechanical really make sense then.

Reading about this new Rx made me think of Exanta by AstraZeneca. I found this item in googling EXANTA:

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/afx/2009/03/29/afx6226731.html

Interesting to read that some dropped out of the study for the "son of Exanta" because of GI problems and an increase in creatinine levels indicating kidney problems. Both situations reversed once the drug was discontinued.

Might be OK for very short-term use, but not by some people.

Would be interested in seeing percentages of warfarin prescriptions filled (under any trademark or generic name) for short-term use vs. long-term use.

On the same token, for those that face multiple reops, it makes a mechanical really make sense then.

Yes, Ross. IF it is eventually approved for use by valvers though that won't ease the anxiety some folks have about possible clicking. I find any new advancements exciting. The more choices the better for all of us.

Yes, Ross. IF it is eventually approved for use by valvers though that won't ease the anxiety some folks have about possible clicking. I find any new advancements exciting. The more choices the better for all of us.

You know I couldn't let that one slide by. :D

Clicking??? Anxiety???

I'll take my muffled clicking any day over the intense cold :( my sister feels from the titanium or whatever joint replacement in her right hip and will feel later this week when her left hip joint is replaced.

At least my valve doesn't set off metal detectors at airports.

Clicking??? Anxiety???

I'll take my muffled clicking any day over the intense cold :( my sister feels from the titanium or whatever joint replacement in her right hip and will feel later this week when her left hip joint is replaced.

At least my valve doesn't set off metal detectors at airports.

Hey it's not nice to make fun of us hip replacement people. :mad::D This is turning into the "Something to offend everyone" thread. hehe

You know I couldn't let that one slide by. :D

:cool: Yes, of course, Ross. :)

Marsha.... :) Speaking only for myself, I had a great deal of anxiety while choosing which valve I preferred and clicking was a major concern of mine. My surgeon was very direct in telling me he could never predict who would have a loudly clicking valve and who would have one hardly heard or noticed. Body size and shape is not indicative according to him.

I agree joint replacement is very tough surgery and very, very hard rehab.

Back