PPSV Vavcine side effects

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathy McCain

Hello again!

I apparently have had a more severe reaction to the PPSV Vacine. I had the injection last Mon in the arm. My arm swelled and developed a hard lump, with redness. Also headache,upset stomach, and general flu like symptoms (minis the fever). Also prickly sensations in my arms, hands, legs, feet and ocasionally face. I went to the Dr's office Friday. The nurse looked at it, and told me I had an allergic reaction,(no kidding) said I could take Benadyrl.

Well I am still experiencing random prickley senations. Called again, and the nurse said it should subside in 2 to 4wks!

My husband had the same vaccine. He only experiened a little sorenss at the injection site. My dr recommended the vacine, because of the long term prednisone use, which is a low dose of 2 1/2 to 5mg daily.

Has anyone here had any experience with this vaccine? I DEFINITELY will not be getting the second, and final one in 5yrs!!

Thanks again everyone, for any help you can give.

PPSV is the pneumonia vaccine. I thought it was to be given every 5 years until we croak (since we have chronic conditions or are over 65), not just 2 vaccines total.

Wikkipedia says:

Risks: Approximately half of people who receive PPSV experience pain and soreness at the vaccination site. Fewer than one percent develop a fever and/or muscle aches.[9]

I had a doozy of a swollen, hot and extremely sore arm for 3 days after my pneumonia shot last month. I never had it that bad before.

I guess you are one of the 1%

That's what I thought too, but you get two total. I myself will NOT be getting another. I still have prickly feelings on and off in my feet, legs and sometimes arms. I also had a weak feeling in my legs, which still comes and goes, it is not disabilitating though. Hopefully this will pass soon! Like I said, my husband had the very same vacine, and he is alright. He lost his spleen in and accident years ago, (due to a drunk driver) so that's why it was recommended. I still take Pred for pericarditis, that why is was recommended to me.

PPSV is the pneumonia vaccine. I thought it was to be given every 5 years until we croak (since we have chronic conditions or are over 65), not just 2 vaccines total.

Wikkipedia says:

Risks: Approximately half of people who receive PPSV experience pain and soreness at the vaccination site. Fewer than one percent develop a fever and/or muscle aches.[9]

I had a doozy of a swollen, hot and extremely sore arm for 3 days after my pneumonia shot last month. I never had it that bad before.

I guess you are one of the 1%

Yep, so it seems. My arm was killing me for 5 days. no exaggeration! My husband was fine. It was recommended to him because he lost his spleen years ago in a car accident, (due to a drunk driver). I take a low dose prenisone for life (it looks like.) Seems my body does not like to be messed with. Most people that have AVR do not have percarditis flare-ups, after almost 3 1/2 yrs since their surgery either. I am still not 100% ! Hopefully this will pass soon.

I got one about 20 years ago, and got another one a few days after my VR surgery in the hospital. Never had a problem either time.

I never had a problem with flu shots like this either. I sure would like to know what's in that vaccine that I am hypersensitive too.

Latest posts

Back