Pounding heart

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katm

Hi everyone, I had my BAV replaced with a bovine valve 6 1/2 yrs ago. About six months ago I was told after a TEE that two of the leaflets had fused together. I feel fine, no dizziness or shortness of breath. My gradient level was 18, it had gone up by 10 from the previous year. My only “symptom” is that either due to stress or something else, I when feel when lying down or sitting quietly that my heart is beating hard. Not fast or irregular just a stronger beat, I’m very aware of it beating. I am a very nervous person but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this sensation. I have an echo tomorrow. Thanks for any input.

Hello. That's a pretty interesting discovery about your leaflets fusing together. So your tissue valve decided to mimic your native valve and go bicuspid! I don't expect you're too delighted about that. It will be very interesting to see what the echo reveals. Maybe that is fairly common?

I definitely do notice my beating heart much more with my second replacement valve (9.1.17) than I remember with my first replacement valve (4.18.06). However, I did experience a lot of PVC's (benign "premature ventricular contractions" with my first valve replacement. Once I started taking magnesium, they went away. I don't think I have them at all with this new valve.

I'm sure that you have reported those sensations to your cardiologist. If he/she gives you a clean report and knows about your feelings and still says everything is a-okay, then I would probably just try to get used to that feeling. We ALL become more aware of things when we start to think about them. We listen with extra intent, we wonder if a certain sensation means something, etc.. In my experience, at some point you just have to accept the changes and direct your attention elsewhere.

As far as your nervousness goes -- I mean, we all get nervous! This is huge stuff we are all dealing with. I learned a very simple breathing technique which I use all the time to calm myself.

Imagine a triangle (or look around and try to spot one). Starting at the lower left side breathe in as you visually draw a line from the base up the left side. Exhale as you draw a line down the right side to the base. Pause your breathing as you draw the base line from the lower right point to the lower left point. Then begin again. Just do it a few times. I think it's that pause that really helps. Many times we just breathe in and out to relax ourselves, but focusing on the pause really helps me.
Good luck.
Keep us posted.
Marguerite

Marguerite,
Thank you so much for replying and for your helpful breathing technique. Just today I found out that my echo showed no changes from 6 months ago. So that is good news. I am working on trying to calm my nerves. Since my surgery 6 yrs ago, I’ve had a hysterectomy, kidney stone attack and breast cancer. Then in January this year, I found out that two of my leaflets in my bovine valve had fused back together. My cardiologist said it happens in 2%. I’m like are you serious? Lol.

Despite everything, I feel blessed and extremely grateful. I have a wonderful and supportive husband, family and friends. I have used your breathing technique when lying in bed and it has helped me. I hope that my valve gives me a couple more yrs before it needs to be replaced

Thank you again for your supportive words

Kathy

I had my BAV replaced with a pig valve in Oct 2018. I had issues with afib after surgery (I’m told that can be common) but it stopped and was thankfully taken off Warfrin. But the irregular heartbeats continued until starting “Remag” which is a concentrated magnesium. None since and I continue taking it. I do however have rapid heartbeat at times though, and I can’t link it to any particular event. I will try the breathing exercise, thank you!

Never have much enjoyed the heart shimmy and thumping but it interesting to read about other's experieinces. . Am thinking this technique might also be helpful when trying to fall asleep.

Thanks for sharing. (y):)

Latest posts

Back