Post-Surgery Vacationing

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christian

Jill and I are considering scheduling an eleven day cruise after her surgery (mitral valve repair or replacement) so that we all have something good to look forward to. How long after the surgery should we wait to disembark? Two months? Three? More? I'm guessing the boat won't have more than a standard family doctor on board.

You are young, but I would still consider waiting six months, if you have to make the reservations in advance. She will have more energy by then and her sternum will be fully healed.

She could do it sooner, but might not be able to enjoy it as much.

Best wishes,

Is the baby going too?

Is the baby going too?

I think going on such a trip before the six month period is up wouldn't be very wise. Now, are you planning on taking your wee boy along? If so, I would wait an extra few months to make sure. When is she having surgery? Well, that sure is something for her to look forward to waiting for her on the other side of the mountain!
Débora :)

Darn. I was hoping you all would say 2 months.

We expect her surgery will be in late October or early November. An 11 day Carribbean cruise with Holland America that leaves on January 6th caught my eye, but I guess I was being too optimistic.

Yes, I was planning on bringing the baby along. We take him everywhere.

I agree, 6 months. While cruises sound relaxing (and they are in some ways) they can also be very active. You're up late in the evening and wake up early in morning for shore excursions.

Dick and I went to Aruba for eight days about 9 weeks after his surgery, but of course we are older, were not toting a baby along and we mainly did it to occupy Dick's time while he was waiting to be able to play tennis and golf again. He thoroughly enjoyed himself and since walking was the only exercise allowed at the time, he virtually walked the entire island of Aruba(more than I could do! :eek: ) He also did not carry any suitcases- that was my job. I agree that a cruise with a baby should probably wait at least 4 months- they can be nice in March too! :)

I had surgery in March. In April I went on a car trip about 600 miles away and did just fine. Someone else did the driving and sort of kept an eye on me. Then 3 months later, I took a similar car trip and did just fine. If you aren't doing anything too strenuous it's doable. I don't know about the question of being out of the country, tho. Ask the doctor for an opinion.

Been wondrin about you all. The baby is half grown now, I expect. He doing ok?

hensylee said:
Been wondrin about you all. The baby is half grown now, I expect. He doing ok?

Colin's 8 1/2 months old and is a happy, heathy baby. He's awfully close to his first real words (he said "diss" this morning instead of "kiss" and says "ghat" instead of "cat"). He can stand with support but can't pull himself up and hasn't even tried to crawl. We think he'll just skip crawling altogether and start walking a bit late. Having him makes me wish I had several more, but I'm content to count my blessings at this point. :) I'd post pictures, but the image dump that I used for years closed its doors.

I took trips to St. Thomas about 3 months after my first & second surgeries. I didn't have any problems but I only had to look out for myself, not a little one. I would echo the others and say it should be 4-6 months after surgery.

Springtime is a great time for a cruise so it might work out better anyway.

Thanks for all the input. I scrapped the January 6 idea. I suppose it'd be best if I waited to book it until after she's done.

Christian said:
Colin's 8 1/2 months old and is a happy, heathy baby. He's awfully close to his first real words (he said "diss" this morning instead of "kiss" and says "ghat" instead of "cat"). He can stand with support but can't pull himself up and hasn't even tried to crawl. We think he'll just skip crawling altogether and start walking a bit late. Having him makes me wish I had several more, but I'm content to count my blessings at this point. :) I'd post pictures, but the image dump that I used for years closed its doors.
Just think... now you are teaching him to walk and talk, and in a few years, you will be wishing he would shout his mouth and sit down. :)

- John

We took a cruise @ 7 mos after my surgery - it was very active with lots of walking and I enjoyed it enormously.

My major criterion was not being far away from medical care (I was doing just fine, but I was a bit of a fraidy cat). We chose a cruise from NYC to Montreal - so we were never very far out to sea and US/Canadian care were available.

I think a cruise is a really good choice of vacations for someone recuperating from whatever - suspended reality is great for rehab!!!

btw - our 2-year-old grandson was a really late crawler - didn't start until he was more than 11 months old - but only crawled for 2 weeks - walked before he was a year. You just can't tell with these babies.

Latest posts

Back