Post Surgery update

Help Support ValveReplacement.org:

tezza

I'm now day 4 and still in ICU, hopefully will go the ward tomorrow. It's been a rough few days, surgeon made the call to put in a biological with aortic root enlargement once he got in there and after looking at haematolgist repot. Have had massive blood issues, with hemolysis, low platelets, kidney shutdown. Have had 5 blood transfusions, plus platelets and all sorts of other tests as they to get to the bottom of it all.2 drains removed today, hopefully the other 2 tomorrow.

Seaton

Sorry to hear of these early struggles and speed bumps, @tezza. Hoping the team can get to the bottom of your blood issues soon and things settle quickly for you. It’s good to know you’re on day four and about to move to a ward.

Wishing you the very best for the days ahead and the speediest of recoveries.

Chuck C

I'm now day 4 and still in ICU, hopefully will go the ward tomorrow. It's been a rough few days, surgeon made the call to put in a biological with aortic root enlargement once he got in there and after looking at haematolgist repot. Have had massive blood issues, with hemolysis, low platelets, kidney shutdown. Have had 5 blood transfusions, plus platelets and all sorts of other tests as they to get to the bottom of it all.2 drains removed today, hopefully the other 2 tomorrow.
Thanks for the update Tezza. Hang in there! We are going through this together as I had mine done March 22. Praying for you to be released soon from ICU and into the ward. Yesterday morning things were looking great for me and there were hopes that I would be released Friday. But, atrial fib, which was looking like it was being controlled, has come back and I expect I will be here at least until Saturday, and who knows how much longer. It is a real psychological booster to get out of ICU and get the drains outso really hope this happens soon for you. I think that having a roller coaster ride is very much the norm. Think about that day, coming soon, where they release you to go home. These days are very long ones for us right now, but it will soon be something that we are both looking back on. Please keep us updated as you feel able to.

Meanjellybean

3 OHS, 1 mechanical on the way - ETA 2 - 4 months
Keeping you in thoughts!
Sounds like a rough ride you have been on the last few days. We are all cheering you on in your recovery. Rest up and just work on one day at a time.

tezza

Thanks for the update Tezza. Hang in there! We are going through this together as I had mine done March 22. Praying for you to be released soon from ICU and into the ward. Yesterday morning things were looking great for me and there were hopes that I would be released Friday. But, atrial fib, which was looking like it was being controlled, has come back and I expect I will be here at least until Saturday, and who knows how much longer. It is a real psychological booster to get out of ICU and get the drains outso really hope this happens soon for you. I think that having a roller coaster ride is very much the norm. Think about that day, coming soon, where they release you to go home. These days are very long ones for us right now, but it will soon be something that we are both looking back on. Please keep us updated as you feel able to.
Thanks Chuck, sounds like you are doing pretty well, sucks about the afib. Fortunately i havent had that!

tezza

Keeping you in thoughts!
Sounds like a rough ride you have been on the last few days. We are all cheering you on in your recovery. Rest up and just work on one day at a time.
Thanks for the positive thoughts.

tezza

Another transfusion this morning, drains hopefully out tomorrow and then spring ICU!

Luckyguy17

VR.org Supporter
So sad to hear of a Bumpy four days for you Tezza.
Here’s hoping your final 2 drains are out today and that you can be released to the ward to complete your hospital recovery. Your 2nd ohs turned out to be another bio, looking forward to more info on that choice, although your number of transfusions seem to indicate the why.
Covid seems to be limiting visitors, especially while in icu, so wishing you visitors soon and a smooth road to full recovery.

ottagal

VR.org Supporter
VR.org Supporter
I am late into getting on your update, Tezza! Thinking of you and sending the most positive thoughts and best wishes that you have turned a corner and will move onto a smooth recovery. So sorry to hear of your struggles and speed bumps. Hang in there....one day at a time....Gentle hugs and prayers continuing....

tezza

Just thought I would touch base again...well I finally made it back onto the ward on day 6. Had a right pneumothorax that had to resolve first, platelets were slowly climbing back up. Once on the ward, struggled with left sided pleural effusion, which didnt clear, so then had to have a pleural drain inserted. Spiking high temps over 48 hours so much concern over infection but that went away as suddenly as it arrived, so who know why? Finally discharged on day 12. Platelets are still not normal but close to. Now just focusing on getting strong again, but I think my mental strength is going to take some time...I'm feeling quite traumatized by the whole experience. First time round was much easier.

Superman

Discharged. Yay! Sorry to read about all the recovery challenges. Hopefully things are sorted out and trending in the right direction now. Still amazing to think what all this puts the body through, yet 99% of the time it’s a success.

Makes you want to remind folks to donate blood if they can, no?

ottagal

VR.org Supporter
VR.org Supporter
Just thought I would touch base again...well I finally made it back onto the ward on day 6. Had a right pneumothorax that had to resolve first, platelets were slowly climbing back up. Once on the ward, struggled with left sided pleural effusion, which didnt clear, so then had to have a pleural drain inserted. Spiking high temps over 48 hours so much concern over infection but that went away as suddenly as it arrived, so who know why? Finally discharged on day 12. Platelets are still not normal but close to. Now just focusing on getting strong again, but I think my mental strength is going to take some time...I'm feeling quite traumatized by the whole experience. First time round was much easier.
You have been through alot and this reminds me of my first time around. (some similarities). Be gentle with yourself and one day at a time. Hoping that you have a smooth recovery moving forward and you can get some rest and recovery at home. Take good care,

pellicle

Professional Dingbat
Hey mate
but I think my mental strength is going to take some time...I'm feeling quite traumatized by the whole experience. First time round was much easier.
I hope things get back to normal sooner. This constant crappy weather sure can't be helping you either.

Get back home and get your favourite mug of warm [insert preference] into you and make sure that your comfortable.

I hope that the worst is now behind you

Best Wishes