post surgery update

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heart Of The Sunrise

Good morning!
Chris's surgery went well. Chris did very well.
All went as planned per Dr Bavaria.
They extubated him last night, he is coherent.
The plan is to get him out of bed today.
He was in a lot of pain last night.
He is in the best of care.

Blessings,
Karen

Last edited:
Thanks for the update Karen. Hope that Chris is getting stronger by the hour. Give him a hug and tell him that all he needs to do now is rest, recover and get stronger. I shall keep you guys in my thoughts. :)

So glad to hear that Chris's surgery went well. I hope they can manage his pain and that his recovery proceeds smoothly.

Thanks for the update Karen, glad things are done and he is heading in the direction of recovery now. You make sure to also take care of yourself and get some rest too, I know this is tough on our spouses and family as well. God bless you and Chris.

Glad to know that surgery went well for Chris and he is on his way to recovery. Please take some time for yourself.....relax, get some sleep.

I'll be watching for more updates when you have a chance. Take care!

Finally home from the hospital today around 3 PM. I could not have gotten better care. Surgery was long and apparently flawless. Entered OR around 8 AM and did not arrive in ICU till after 5 PM. I am so fortunate that I found out about my condition and that it was fixed by a world-class surgeon. My Aortic Root was an absolute mess. I feel great now just 9 days post op. I looked and felt so good on Wednesday afternoon when the chest tubes came out they were talking about sending me home on Friday.

Then it started going south BIG TIME!

I developed an Ileus and was sick as a dog. An ileus is a disruption of the normal propulsive ability of the gastrointestinal tract. An Ileus is often defined simply as bowel obstruction. But,also is described as decreased motor activity of the GI tract due to non-mechanical causes. Narcotic pain killers and anesthesia in my case. Projectile vomiting that would make "The Exorcist" appear to be a Disney Family Film was the Friday 3 AM highlight.
So, I had an NG tube snaked through my nose and down my throat for 3. 5 days sucking out what looked like beet juice. Leaving me on just IV fluids and chewing on ice chips (then spitting them out) to sooth my espohagus which was raw due to acid reflux from consistent killer hiccups that I thought would never stop. I am extremely fortunate that Karen is a former ER Nurse and currently works from home.

Last edited:
Ouch. Glad that's behind you now HotS and glad that you're home. Trust me, every day it gets better and better. I'm on day 16 now and it really seems like the surgery was an eternity ago. Started cardiac rehab yesterday. I highly recommend it if you have the option.

Glad to hear you are home and have overcome those bumps in the recovery process. Keep up the good work. Each day you will feel stronger. Just make sure to listen to your body and don't over do. Best Wishes

Super to hear from you, although really sorry to hear about your set-back!

Sounds like you're doing great now though - take it easy!!! (oh - of course walk - walk - walk) but rest as much as you need to - I did and that really helped me.

Best wishes to you for a smooth recovery!

Rachel

I am doing extremely well. Especially with re-establishing normal GI tract functions. I have all of my follow-up appointments made. 4/2 Cardio, 4/9 Primary Care Physician, 4/30 Surgeon. I can not believe how well I feel. I need no pain meds. I am no longer taking anything to help with sleep. I feel far more rested on much less sleep.:thumbup:
Hard to believe I am only 11 days post-op.:angel:

Excellent news.

Sorry to hear about the paralytic ileus, I think I would rather have OHS than an NG tube.

Remember to pace yourself and not over do things just because you are feeling so great, but you have your own nurse so she will keep you on the right path!!

Adrienne:cool:

Latest posts

Back