Post Surgery Timeline

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Estrazz

I have read quite a few posts in here already but just wanted to start my own with a few specific questions that hopefully a few of you can help with. I will be having my surgery on November 18, 2021 in Rochester, MN at Mayo Clinic.

1. The Surgeon said to plan on 5-7 days in the hospital after the surgery and he said some times they recommend staying in town for 1-2 days after but that all depends on the patient. My thought is since I am 7 hours from home to stay in Minnesota for a few days? Also, for those of you that had to travel, is a 7 hour road trip doable right after being discharged or should we plan to split the drive up?

2. I am probably jumping the gun here but I am also wondering how long was it before I should plan on being able to get myself around? I won't have an issue arranging transportation but just wondering how long was it before you were driving yourself to rehab, gym, etc....

3. I normally spend my winters snowblowing driveways in my neighborhood for some extra cash. I have a tractor with a pressurized cab and a 74" blower so its nothing hard to operate. I am curious how long you might think it would be before I am back in the seat on that? I normally spend about 2 hours in the tractor after a snow storm cleaning driveways. It is a tractor so its not a smooth ride and thats where I think I could have issues as well possibly with shifting it?

I'm a busy body and I really just want to know how long I should plan on being completely out of commission? My surgeon told me 6 weeks until restrictions are off but I did not ask enough questions and I am not sure what those restrictions are?

I'm a busy body and I really just want to know how long I should plan on being completely out of commission? My surgeon told me 6 weeks until restrictions are off but I did not ask enough questions and I am not sure what those restrictions are?

My view is that you can be thankful that you're not a dead body and instead (after a pause) get to resume life again (albeit a bit changed).

I think it was Michael who wrote the best thing you can do to speed up your recovery is to not.
At about 6 weeks out, I can tell you that the single biggest thing you can do to speed your recovery is to slow your recovery.

it takes what it takes and if it takes 8 weeks then good but if it takes 6 weeks then good too. Small steps forward each day.

Let me make this clear: you do not want to do anything that makes you slip backwards, for if you do it can be things like:
  • paravalular leaks (possibly exacerbated by too high a blood pressure during early endothelisation)
  • mobile sternum (you really don't want that) exacerbated by not following lifting restrictions
  • ... (stuff you don't want to know)
So just sit back and bask in the fact that compared to when my mum was born you got a second bite of the cherry.

Best Wishes

I had a 5 1/2 hour drive. A bit shorter but we just stopped a few times so I could get out and walk.

I had a 5 hour drive and we stopped twice to get out and walk. I was 6 days post-surgery and still wanted to sleep as much as I could. My driver could have handled a 7 hour drive (8.5 hours w/ breaks), and I think I'd rather be home than in a hotel, but remember you will not be sharing the driving.

Your doc's are likely to recommend that you do NO driving in the first 30 days, and while riding, be in the back seat. (The logic is that if you do get in any accident that sets off the air bags, they're likely to really damage your unhealed sternum and you'll be back in the hospital for days.) You'll be walking around your house, making food, etc by the time you get home.

At 30 days, I was cleared to drive and it felt ok. I'm currently at about 6-7 weeks and am back in rehab, but that's cardio right now, no lifting. I'm going to try a very light workout on the heavy bag next week (full range of motion, but no power) to see what it's like. My doc's recommendation re: lifting was "nothing over a gallon of milk during the first 30 days", and I stuck to that. The couple of times I tried to lift something heavier (about 25 lbs), it did not feel good and I stopped. I tried to lift a case of wine yesterday and was strong enough, but the sternum really started to ache immediately, so I stopped.

I've run tractors like that, and I think you're not likely to be comfortable doing the snowblowing for a several months. Based on what I know now, just write this year off.

" long I should plan on being completely out of commission? " YMMV, but my job is web based, and I can work from home using a laptop. The first 7 days from surgery, all I did was recover. During week 2, I did a total of about 20 hours of email/short meetings. At week 3, I was back to 40-45 hours. Note, however, that my job is done from a chair. Up until week 4, I would still need a nap in the afternoon and a nap right after work. If my job was even pushing a lawn mower, I would probably not be back until week 6. I could probably mow my small yard now, but couldn't do 4 hours of lawn mowing. I swung a heavy duty weed whacker for about 15 minutes and it felt ok, but there was a hard no on doing it for an hour or so. My chest would have really been barking, and I just wouldn't have the energy. A friend who's a firefighter wasn't back on limited duty until 6 months, but they had him doing filing, equipment maintenance/inventory at month 4. At 1 year, however, he's back full bore.

At this point, your goal is getting that sternum to heal. The best outcome is that 5 years from now you say "yeah, I was on limited activity for a while", not "I f'ed my chest up and it took a year to heal". You won't remember the difference between 6 weeks healing time and 10 weeks healing time, but you'll sure remember what happens if you re-open the chest or force a leak.

Off topic recommendation you might not hear: get one of those AM/PM drug dispensing trays. It will make managing your meds very much easier.

I missed your quote the first time around but that is absolutely correct.

@Michael O
At about 6 weeks out, I can tell you that the single biggest thing you can do to speed your recovery is to slow your recovery.

Good advice above; however, I will share my tractor specific individual experience. Key of course is that everyone is different and it is absolutely best to err on the side of conservatism if there is any doubt. My first surgery was in May and I know I was on my tractor moving logs in week 3. That surgery was between the ribs so no sternum concerns. All I was doing was lifting a chain . . . the tractor did all the work. No issues or concerns whatsoever. My second surgery was the full sternum cut and in early Dec. and I live in an area with about 100" of snow. I guarantee I was plowing with the tractor in January (no blower!).

You've got a 74" blower and cab? so I'm guessing you are in the 30-60hp range. I use both ends of that range regularly although my tractors are all HST's. They are slow and not fighting traffic so vehicle accidents are not the concern that cars are. You'll know from your experience how much force is required to shift. Could be a couple weeks . . .could be a few months depending on you and your tractor. I have no real shifting so did not have that concern. Same will go for chute rotation and angle. If they are hydraulic . . . no issues that I can see. If they are manual . . . you will know when you can exert those forces. If your blower is front mount, I think that would be easy. As most are rear, backwards, and PTO driven, they are like I usually plow. My guess is that will be the toughest part. That constant twisting to see where you are going is likely to be the pacing element. My experience was that this was not a problem for me sometime in the second month.

You've got a 74" blower and cab? so I'm guessing you are in the 30-60hp range.

Yes, it is a 40hp, front mounted blower. I do have to spend a fair amount of time looking back though when using the back blade to clean up. I had not thought about that and I imagine that will be rather uncomfortable. I think it probably will be best to let someone else take my contracts for this winter. I love my tractor time in the winter. I live in big snow country, anywhere from 200-300" a winter and spend a lot of time in my tractor but sounds like the smart decision will be to let someone else deal with it this year.

My job on the other hand does not really require any physical work, however, I do need to be able to drive and spend 12 hours at work, between being in the office and out in the field. I will have to be cleared by our company doctor so I guess it just really depends on what they deem I need to be capable of doing to return.

I by no means plan to try to speed up my recovery. I just really have no idea what to expect. Now that I have a date, things are real. I'm grateful I was told I have some time before it has to be done and I am able to enjoy October, my favorite month of the year.

"... I am able to enjoy October, my favorite month of the year. "

NW MI/UP autumn FTW.

My surgery was done in Cleveland and I had a 9" incision. I was in the hospital for 8 days - two additional because of an infection in - of all places - my prostate. I left Cleveland on Day 10 and flew back to LAX, followed by a 2 hour drive to San Diego. I couldn't drive for 30 days. That was the protocol for MY size incisions and my focus was to follow whatever protocol they suggested. Recovery went without a hitch and I was back to my old exercise schedule (walking/steep hills) on Day 30. Life really does go on!

When I went to medical school we were taught a few things about post operative care. In GI surgery we always asked after surgery “have you passed gas?”. Then we knew the bowels appeared to be working OK. When drains are left in one watched to see when the drainage stopped - then they are pulled. Patients are ambulated as soon as feasible.
After that there may be some sort of rehab.
What patients can otherwise do for the most part is governed by what the particular physician felt was reasonable. Some physicians feel compelled to be overly restrictive others more liberal. Many of the post op restrictions are plucked out of the air.
Clearly given the fact that in many cases of heart surgery the sternum is wired and not yet knit for probably two months, activities that might injure the sternum should be limited. Does that mean not driving? It means not driving and getting into an accident. If unusual brain fog exists clearly there should be limitations. But one size doesn’t fit all.
I had a valve and aorta repaired in an 8 hour procedure.
Two and one half weeks later I did a retinal detachment repair on someone else. I really didn’t want to but certain circumstances existed that required me to. All went well for both myself and the patient.
In my own field of retinal surgery I have been impressed with the wide range of limitations that different surgeons give. I always try to be as liberal as possible and only limit for some very special situations. For 40 years this approach has worked quite well for my patients.

I was not allowed to drive for eight weeks. Plus, I wasn't even allowed to be in the front seat fo the car for 8 weeks because of the potential for airbags to go off. That would be a huge impact to the chest!

I have read quite a few posts in here already but just wanted to start my own with a few specific questions that hopefully a few of you can help with. I will be having my surgery on November 18, 2021 in Rochester, MN at Mayo Clinic.

1. The Surgeon said to plan on 5-7 days in the hospital after the surgery and he said some times they recommend staying in town for 1-2 days after but that all depends on the patient. My thought is since I am 7 hours from home to stay in Minnesota for a few days? Also, for those of you that had to travel, is a 7 hour road trip doable right after being discharged or should we plan to split the drive up?

2. I am probably jumping the gun here but I am also wondering how long was it before I should plan on being able to get myself around? I won't have an issue arranging transportation but just wondering how long was it before you were driving yourself to rehab, gym, etc....

3. I normally spend my winters snowblowing driveways in my neighborhood for some extra cash. I have a tractor with a pressurized cab and a 74" blower so its nothing hard to operate. I am curious how long you might think it would be before I am back in the seat on that? I normally spend about 2 hours in the tractor after a snow storm cleaning driveways. It is a tractor so its not a smooth ride and thats where I think I could have issues as well possibly with shifting it?

1. The Surgeon said to plan on 5-7 days in the hospital after the surgery and he said some times they recommend staying in town for 1-2 days after but that all depends on the patient. My thought is since I am 7 hours from home to stay in Minnesota for a few days? Also, for those of you that had to travel, is a 7 hour road trip doable right after being discharged or should we plan to split the drive up? I was pretty beat when I left the hospital at 6 days. I didn't really leave the house for five more days except to get blood draws. However sitting in a car isn't much different than sitting at home, but that kind of depends upon how comfortable the car is :) Make sure you have your post-surgery care all lined up in advance.

2. I am probably jumping the gun here but I am also wondering how long was it before I should plan on being able to get myself around? I won't have an issue arranging transportation but just wondering how long was it before you were driving yourself to rehab, gym, etc.... I was allowed to drive as soon as I was off narcotic pain killers. This was about the 3rd week, but I didn't have the energy for any significant driving outside of simple errands and blood draws. If the risk of driving is being in a car accident, that's dependent upon where you live and how good you drive. There are other ways to mitigate that problem such as not driving during rush hour.

3. I normally spend my winters snowblowing driveways in my neighborhood for some extra cash. I have a tractor with a pressurized cab and a 74" blower so its nothing hard to operate. I am curious how long you might think it would be before I am back in the seat on that? I normally spend about 2 hours in the tractor after a snow storm cleaning driveways. It is a tractor so its not a smooth ride and thats where I think I could have issues as well possibly with shifting it? I would discuss this with your surgeon. It's dependent upon your surgery, your physiology and the actual activities you want to do.

I disagree with "At about 6 weeks out, I can tell you that the single biggest thing you can do to speed your recovery is to slow your recovery. " Your surgical team should give you a roadmap of when to begin activities even sex. I followed my surgical team's advice and had a slow steady return to activity. The Brits have some guides that I found useful too. At 4 weeks I started rehab and at 6 weeks I went back to work 1/2 time and at 7 weeks full time. Slow and steady wins the race.

Good luck with you surgery Estrazz. A quick note about driving; check insurance requirements. I was told my my medical team that if I drive before being cleared by my doc, my insurance would be void. (in B.C. Where most car insurance is Public, so only one or two providers). For me, no driving for six weeks, though I felt well enough sooner. I had to wait until my Cardio gave the okay at 6 weeks.

I tried to lift a case of wine yesterday and was strong enough, but the sternum really started to ache immediately, so I stopped.
FWIW, 1 week later - 4.5 mile hike yesterday felt ok. Medium up and down, but the comfortable pace meant that I was slightly OOB most of the trip. Some tiredness in legs/hips tiredness today, but no other effects.

Figured I'd give the wine a try today and easily took 4 cases down a flight of stairs w/ no twinges. Barely out of breath for about 3 mins afterward.

FWIW, 1 week later - 4.5 mile hike yesterday felt ok. Medium up and down, but the comfortable pace meant that I was slightly OOB most of the trip. Some tiredness in legs/hips tiredness today, but no other effects.

Figured I'd give the wine a try today and easily took 4 cases down a flight of stairs w/ no twinges. Barely out of breath for about 3 mins afterward.
Don't screw yourself up. It takes 8 weeks for bone to heal. If you lift something too heavy you risk not healing properly. Theres people on this forum who say their sternum never healed properly and it gives them chronic pain now.

Latest posts

Back