Post-surgery chest numbness

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmb1997

Hi all. I had a minimally invasive right thoracic mitral valve repair surgery three weeks ago.

Suddenly this afternoon the right side of my chest has gone numb. The width of the area of numbness is located from just to the right of the sternum and extends to about one inch past my nipple. For the height it is only from about one inch above to one inch below the nipple, so not a large area. Everything else is fine.

I did read about having localized numbness around the area of incision, but from what I read I expected it to begin right after surgery, not three weeks out. I do have my post-op appointment with my cardiologist in two days, but am unsure if this pain merits a call to the surgeon, PCP or anyone else beforehand.

I'm interested in hearing from those who had numbness when it began.

Thank you.

Hi all. I had a minimally invasive right thoracic mitral valve repair surgery three weeks ago.

Suddenly this afternoon the right side of my chest has gone numb. The width of the area of numbness is located from just to the right of the sternum and extends to about one inch past my nipple. For the height it is only from about one inch above to one inch below the nipple, so not a large area. Everything else is fine.

I did read about having localized numbness around the area of incision, but from what I read I expected it to begin right after surgery, not three weeks out. I do have my post-op appointment with my cardiologist in two days, but am unsure if this pain merits a call to the surgeon, PCP or anyone else beforehand.

Thank you.
Is it numb with pain?

Thank you.
You mention this to the Cardio. For it is harder to get in touch with the surgeon. Good luck that everything is okay. I had numbness in the hands after surgery, took two weeks for it to clear up.

I saw my cardiologist yesterday and she simply said, "They may have severed a nerve in surgery. You may never feel there again. You should ask the surgeon when you see him." What??

Anyway, I see the surgeon in 12 days and also have a visiting nurse affiliated with his office coming today. I will mention the numbness to her today and she her take on this.

Agreed. I can't imagine it's a severed nerve. After half my visits to her I consider switching cardiologists.

Also, the numbness I felt a few days ago has reduced at least by half.

I did also remember that the day before I felt the increased numbness that I had sneezed a few times. Sneezing doesn't hurt actually (and thankfully) but maybe that action contributed.

Latest posts

Back