Post Op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

gary47

Surgery was on Jan. 8th so I am about 3 weeks post op--feel good--thanks again!!!

Hi Gary

Nice to hear you are feeling great. My op was on 7th January. I'm feeling not too bad at the moment. Waiting on better weather so I can get out and do more walking.

hi gary!
great to hear you're well on your way to recovery.
wishing you a smooth and easy one. please remember not to rush it and just try and take it easy and rest up.
keep letting us know how you're doing.
be well,
sylvia

recovery

recovery

Feeling great--the 8th of this month will mark one month post op--no real pain just taking (1) tylenol #3 at bedtime--finally able to sleep on my stomach for periods of time--I could not stand sleeping on my back-----I am seeing the doc on the 13th to see what activities he will allow me to do I am an athlete and it is driving me crazy--the anuerysm didn't spread far enough to the root so he he didn't have to bother my valve-he just did a dacron repair----One of the PA's I met though was an avid runner with a St. Judes mechanical valve-and he gave me a heck of a pep talk which prepared me mentally--the University of Mich. was a class act!!!!!!!!Any questions are welcome!!!!!!

Gary47, Glad to hear you're doing so well. You'll find that the recovery and healing process will go much smoother than you thought. Just be sure not to overdo it in the beginning. Enjoy the time to relax while you can b/c before you know it, you'll be back in the fast lane.

How was the whole experience. Was it what you expected? I imagine that it was probably better than you had anticipated. The anticipation is the worst part of the whole thing I thought. Now that you're over the 'hump', you can enjoy life again with a HUGE weight off your shoulders. Congratulations and welcome back!

Freddie24

Freddie

Freddie

It is over--still some soreness in the sternum-seeing the doc. on the 13th--I don't know if I told you but they did not have to bother my valve or root--just an aneurysm repair--but I read alot about valve sparing-and the long term results have been EXCELLENT--I suspect a good diet along with proper exercise(which most people don't do) will be the main factor in regards to any health issues-I am on 35mg (lopressor-high blood medication-)and an asprin--I will be off the lopressor eventually and I will probably continue to take the asprin (from what I have read it is good) nice hearing from you and take care!!!

Abnormal T waves

Abnormal T waves

My first ECG had some abnormal T-waves--I am feeling great--my doc said-this is pretty normal during the recovery process has anybody else had a similar experience--by the way thanks again for everybody's support--this is a great bunch of brave people -a bunch of fighters---I was a prettygood amateur middleweight years ago----and it was nothing compared to the ordeal of major surgery especially the wait--I try to make time in my prayers for everybody!

Peachy

Peachy

I am from Mich. it is pretty warm out for this time of the year-it seem the more I walk the better I feel--take care of yoursel -I just saw your post!!!!!!!

Freddie24

Freddie24

How are you doing Freddie-Ok I hope you were right the wait was much worse than the actual surgery--what kind of literature do you have or know about regarding the longterm prognosis for valve sparing procedures-All the info. I get is good and leans toward the patient watching their diet/weight & exercise--any ways hope you are doing OK-the people on this forum have been great.

Hi Gary47,

I found that the actual surgery itself was MUCH better than what I expected. I hope your experience was similar. As for long term info, all the information I've read says that the dacron tube is a permanent fix. Of course, the better shape you keep yourself in, the better chance you give yourself. As for exercise, be sure to check with your doctor as some people will have limitations as far as intensity and strenuousness, but for the most part, after you're fully healed, you should be able to do anything that you could do before surgery. I found that working out was a very pleasant relief after surgery and many weeks of waiting to get the green light from my doctors. I felt fine long before they would let me get back to anything more than walking. So once they let me get back to real exercise, it was a real pleasure.

Just relax, try to enjoy your time off, and before you know it, you'll be back to your old self.

Congratulations again on your successful surgery. I look forward to hearing more about your recovery.

-Freddie24

Back