Post op wobbles.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko2011

I'm day +25 post op, following redo AVR with the On-X Valve. Still no regrets. It's thumping away like mad in there. Can anyone tell me just how long it's going to be until I stop feeling like a bass drum ?
Initially I tick/squeaked, now it's really thumping, regularly of course, but at night, when I'm trying to sleep, it makes the whole matress resonate. It's starting to drive me nuts. Also my femoral cut down wound has dehisced (opened up) and I'm having daily dressing changes and oral antibiotics, I'm generally feeling a bit flat if I'm honest, I keep bursting into tears one minute, and raging at how slowly this recovery is going, the next. I know it's a redo, but I definitely didn't feel this way last time, I was back at work full time at 6 weeks.

I know you are all going to say this is normal, I wasn't really ready to share so much last time on the forum, this time though, I feel a bit more experienced, and need to share, be more helpful, i'm waffling.

Grrrrrrrrr.

Mark.

Hey Mark

waffling (even ranting) is all good.

To answer your question, the bass drum effect will perhaps remain ... what I tended to observe is that over time I became less aware of it. Meaning to say there are large patches of time when I forget or observe it with no more surprise than the fingers on my hand.

Things can drive you nuts if you focus on them ... I'd say that the best approach is to accept it for what it is and not get cranky.

I also find that there are some angles where I sleep that I can hear the springs "resonate" with my heart beat, but that's "new to me" because when I lived in Australia I didn't have an inner spring mattress (as I loathe them) and had a "Japanese style" cotton futon (with an Australian twist) which I miss a lot. I'd suggest peraps try alternative bedding?

I'm so sorry to read you now know what is dehiscence ... if you feel like someone to listen give me a PM and happy to skype. (its also on my phone)

Best Wishes

Mark:
I have the ON-X valve as well ..now 4 years post-op. I had the same symptoms and feelings post-op. Now only occasionally do I hear or feel the valve as something different in my anatomy.
My awareness of the difference in my heart diminished after several months. Hang in there!

I run a fan, well it's a HEPA filter fan now , for white noise when I sleep. I don't have a mechanical valve but it helps me sleep. Maybe that would help you sleep easier and not notice it at night? At this point if I'm sleeping somewhere else and I don't have a fan it's difficult for me to get to sleep

Thanks for the replies guys,

I've been for my first cardiac rehab assessment this morning, and I basically blurted out everything I blurted out in my earlier post.

Firstly I'm only 25 days post redo, it's still very early days, and I must remind myself of this. I'm a bit hypertensive, hence why I'm sounding and feeling like a marching band. No worries, just an increase in BP meds for now. My heart is still a bit "stunned", it's been opened up again, manhandled and electrified, at some point very soon, it will realise that it doesn't have to work so hard anymore. I'm also in quite a bit of pain, I only take Paracetamol, keeping on top of this will help lower my BP further, so making sure I top up every 4 hours is essential, rather than waiting for pain to become overwhelming. Of course I'm going to feel tearful, it's a major trauma to my body again, and I've survived. Tears are of relief, and normal, being cross and impatient though, isn't going to help.

Just take every day as it comes, there's no point in trying to rush your recovery, obvious I know, but easy to slip into. Baby steps.

Marko2011;n875006 said:
Just take every day as it comes, there's no point in trying to rush your recovery, obvious I know, but easy to slip into. Baby steps.
sounds like you have it nailed.

I know its easier to know the map than navigate there ... but you'll get there :)

Back