Post Op Day 4

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there is a gauze over the wound where they took out the drainers from. I’m having the stitches from the drainers removed this Thursday. Can I remove the gauze in the interim? It’s been on for 4 days now and it’s starting to itch

I am not remembering having any type of dressing on the stiches were the drain tubes came out once I left the hospital, however the best route is to ask the nurse.

I also wouldn't make any bets on cardiac rehab, while they shut it down about the middle of March here in Nebraska, they started it back up the first week of June. Regardless, I would recommend contacting cardiac rehab and registering so that when they reopen/have availability you can get in.

What they had me doing initially was walking on a treadmill and riding a exercise bike which they kept raising the work load/speed trying to get me to the point of exerting a moderate effort. Once I was cleared to lift more then ten pounds they added exercises with light dumbbells.

i think they won’t be calling me back for cardiac rehab during the covid period. We’ll see if things get better. Are there any good exercises I can do at home in the interim? Going home tomorrow T+6

I'll 2nd what Protimenow suggested. Walk, walk, walk. I started off slow and just walked up and down my driveway at first so as not to stray too far from home. Then around the block, then twice around the block, and eventually around the neighborhood, adding a bit more distance as I felt stronger. If the weather was crappy I spent some time on my Dad's stationary bike (was recouping at parent's house). I found that starting some aerobic exercises as early as I could tolerate without too much discomfort and increasing the duration as tolerated really helped improve my lung function. I'm over 9 years out from my 2nd surgery and I still walk regularly, it's become a habit.

It’s now post op day 11. Breathing is better now.. doctor says my lungs have fully expanded. Should I still continue with the spirometer? Developed a left shoulder ache. How can I keep my upper body joints flexible? Thank you very much

Seastreet, My AVR was just over 3 years ago in Japan. I was like a caged animal after 2 weeks but was kept in for almost a month to treat my infective endocarditis that caused the whole issue (bacteria bored a hole in the value). Very little in the way of meds, had to plead for a couple of pain killers, but it did keep one in touch with the progress. Cleared to walk the floor, the the hospital and then outside. Nearby park was awesome, I cried the 1st day out. I only came back for med. I nickname was "Jesus" which I assumed was Japanese for "repeat customer" but it felt so good to have a functioning heart again, despite the pain. Hang in there, it gets better on an exponential scale. Thorough the worst for sure. JCG

The topmost bit of my chest incision started discharging a red translucent liquid. The rest of the wound is fine. Should I go to the hospital to check it out?

Seastreet, I'd get some online / e-mail advice as to what to apply to it and send some pics in. Way pre COVID-19 but I had some issues with the scar area here where I went to local clinics to get it looked at, but I'd be reticent to do so currently. Hope you are feeling better with less pain med. Regards, Caleb

Latest posts

Back