Post op day 13

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cactus52

Hey there, I am still in Ohio and post op day 13 found myself in the ER with a throbbing muscle spasm between my shoulder blades. I couldn't breathe and it took IV morphine and a strong muscle relaxer to get it to subside. I then spent 2 days admitted where they ran x-rays, CT, and an echo. They found a little pericarditis and pneumonia forming in my lungs. Got IV antibiotics, lasics and not finding anything else sent me on my way last night with a 5 day antibiotic and a muscle relaxer. I am totally wiped out really wondering if this does get better. On the bright side every cardio intern wanted to listen to the valve, kinda felt on display lol. Trying to get home to Atlanta but found out tonight that my kids at home have been exposed to the covid. So who knows when I'll get back home to Atlanta.

I kinda remember having severe back pain/spasms for a couple days post-op. I'm not sure what meds where available but I do remember having to sleep on a rubber mattress that had ice water circulated thru it. I probably didn't get much sleep while on that mattress but it did help.......I guess.
Glad to hear you are on the other side of the mountain and I hope things continue to get better.

My upper back was my biggest issue post surgery. It lasted two months and slowly got better. By the end of the third month I was fine.

Tylenol and ice packs got me through it.

I too had upper back pain. That was seriously more painful coming out of surgery than my sternum ever was. The worst, fortunately, was only a couple days. As said above ice packs and Tylenol. It stayed irritated, sort of a burning sensation, especially after garden work, but not bad, off and on until lately (July ? Surgery was January). Yoga seated shoulder stretches and gentle rotating helped me too.

Hi @Cactus52

Post AVR surgery I had residual neck and head pain when I turned my head to the left. This remains to a degree to this day. No doubt due to the body manipulation of the surgical procedure.

Even so, I‘ve had a couple of bumps post surgery that began as shoulder region pain.

At nearly five weeks post op I ...

I soon developed a high fever with exhaustion and extreme chest pain and ended up in the A&E department. Was eventually put on Co-amoxiclav for a urinary tract infection (UTI).

Then in late January this year I had pericarditis, which initially felt like I’d pulled a muscle in my shoulder. The pain eventually increased and spread when I tried to fully inhale. Things got worse quite quickly and by the time I got to hospital it was hard to walk far without extreme breathlessness and strong chest pain around my heart. I was initially suspected of having endocarditis.

I was in hospital for four days - finally being medicated with colchicine for pericarditis (with pericardial effusion) after they’d first ruled out endocarditis. I was very fatigued for quite a few weeks after release.

I think any kind of pain that develops post surgery should be kept an eye on just in case. And most especially investigated speedily if a fever develops. The both times I ended up in the A&E I thought initially I’d simply pulled a muscle.

Having said that ... bumps aside, things generally do get a lot, lot better!

I wish you improving and healthy days ahead and a speedy return to your family in Atlanta. 😎

Last edited:
Thank you for that, sounds like you had quite the road to travel. I hope that this is as bad as it gets. I'm doing much better today, my niece gave me a massage in the affected area and today the pain is gone. Still always tired but trying to move a little everyday just counting the days.......

I, too, have been dealing with lingering pain since my surgery in January. Nothing like you've had to deal with, @Cactus52. My doctor said most it is probably from nerve damage inside my sternum and that it may or may not go away. I also have kinda constant irritation and pain in the scar tissue, and I can feel the wires that kept my sternum shut. Our bodies definitely all have different ways of reacting to the trauma of being wrenched open, don't they? Glad you're feeling better today, and I'm grateful we all have this forum to share our stories and encouragement. Hopefully you'll be back home safely soon, right back into quarantine!

Hey, Cactus, glad you're doing well. Wish I had seen your post earlier. When I was at CC I also had horrible back pain. It was considered very normal there. I craved a massage or something to stop it, and finally my surgeon's holistic nurse did reflexology that did the trick. (As I may have said here previously, I was dubious, but if it works, it works!)

Latest posts

Back