Post-op Beer

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3.0 is not risky - I often keep my INR for my aortic valve above 3.0 and don't worry about it

Same here, i aim for 3.0 , i'm in the Aortic position too

I use the Coaguchek XS and aiming at 3.0 i should be 2.5 -3.5 in reality ( hopefully ) :)

Last edited:
Hi...I’m about 4 weeks post-op and I’m feeling pretty good. I’m blessed that I haven’t had any complications and my INR has been pretty stable. They installed an On-X valve and a Dacron graft when I had my OHS.

I’m going on vacation at the end of August. I was wondering how long it was after surgery before you had your first drink? I have been dry so far, so my vacation would be about 7 weeks out for a beer. When I asked my cardio, she said no more than 2 in a day, but that honestly...What happens if I have like 4 beers while me and my friends are hanging out? Does anyone know if it’s going to cause me to have a stroke or something?

Thanks and cheers!
Just do not over do it. Just use common sense. No stroke or heart attack will happen with a few beers. Hugs for today. :)

That's for sure. Vitamin K acts pretty quickly.

Warfarin is referred to as a 'Vitamin K Antagonist' (or other similar terms). It takes a while to reduce the effect of K1 in the clotting process. When you add Vitamin K, it overcomes the slower effects of warfarin, so the INR drops rapidly.

Now that they know how it works, isn't it time that they stop calling warfarin a 'blood thinner?'

When I am significantly out of range, I contact my clinic. If I am high, they give me a dose change and say test in 7-10 days. If I am very low, it's 5 days. I asked and was told it takes at least 5 days for a dosage change to have a significant effect on the INR.

Back