Post gallbladder problems

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathy McCain

Hi all,

I was not certain just where to post this, or if I should. My problem is not valve related. I was having some issues with discomfort in the upper ribs. It started on the right side under the rib (for you ladies where the bra goes over the rib area). Also the right side of the chest, shoulder and arm. My thought was that maybe the clips shifted, or scar tissue development from the surgery?? I also had some discomfort on the other side too, so I dismissed the gallbladder issue. To make a long story short, I went to my GP he order an ultrasound. They have discoverd a fluid filled cyst where the gallbladder used to be! The Dr has ordered a Catscan, and blood work. I have searched on the net, and can't find any info! I am concerned that they will have to do another surgery to remove this. In the meantime should I call my cardios office? I am thinking it would be a good idea. I am concerned about infection, and the possible effects on the valve. The Dr did not prescribe an antibiotic. Also, has anyone here every heard of such a post operative problem? I had my surgery LAST Jan !

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Hi Kathy-

I had exactly this five weeks post-op and apparently it can be caused by major surgery. Mine was called 'acute acalculous cholecystitis' which is med-speak for 'you don't have any gallstones but your gallbladder is fairly annoyed anyway'. I came in to the hospital under the care of my cardio as I initially thought it was a side effect of the amioderone he prescribed. He kept me there for three days on IV antibiotics every six hours in case I got an infection, even though the bloods showed no sign.

His logic was that if I were to get an infection and it settled on my new valve, I'd be in the poo. But then I was only five weeks post op, not almost two years! I reckon it's worth a call to the cardio anyway, they might prefer to dose you to the gills with IV abios too, to protect the valve.

I felt better the next day and the surgeon refused to take the gallbladder out - I would have liked him to - after all, once you've been through OHS nothing else is very scary really! :) Good luck!

Ski girl,

Yes, the thing is, this is from gallbladder removal. The cyst is where the gallbladder was. I am going to call my cardio today.
I really need this aggravation just before Christmas.

Thanks so much for the post!

Kathy your gall bladder has come back as a ghost gall bladder! :) Any time you grow a new organ you should call a doctor . . . you could sell these things ya know. But on a serious note, GOOD LUCK from down under!

Sorry to hear you are going through this Kathy. Hope things get sorted out for you before Christmas.
Sending positive thoughts and best wishes,

Kathy,

I hope this just turns out to be one of those medical annoyances, and hope the mystery is solved very soon! Sorry you're having this bother.

Debby

Back