Post AVR elevated heart rate and diastolic BP

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suckyvalvegurl

Still trying to get coll with this. The docs say it is because my heart was used to pushing so hard to get a trickle of blood through that it became very muscular and now that it has all this blood flow the combo causes this. Did anybody else experience this?

I'm five days out from AVR, and your docs' explanation makes a lot of sense to me, intuitively. If that's true, once the left ventricle remodels back to its original size, HR and diastolic BP should return to lower values.

I had a relatively low resting heart rate (high 50s) before surgery, and now it's in the 90s. Makes sense that my heart has to pump extra to keep up with all that volume. My diastolic BP is in the 80s right now, so not super high. This explanation also jibes with my observation that the upper end of my heart rate is unchanged. It takes a brisk walk, even 5 days out from OHS, to get my HR to 120 right now. That change seems similar to my HR's response to exercise before surgery.

Did your diastolic BP and heart rate go back down?

It took me a good few months IIRC to come down from 100 most of the time.

After some time training I got my resting rate back to 64, but it would go back ip to 100 easily with only 2 glasses of red wine.

Then with more training I've managed to be able to get to half a bottle.

All in the furtherance of science :)

Latest posts

Back