Popping breastbone.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

Ward

Had surgery on August 1st and got home just yesterday, August 6th. As much as I try to keep my upper body motionless, my breastbone is constantly popping and cracking, even when I'm just walking. Is this a normal part of the breastbone healing or is something wrong? Surgery went smooth, the first two days were tough, then the recocery was rapid, every day was better. Now I'm trying to get used to all the meds. If anyone can help with the popping, I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Ward

Glad to hear you're back and feeling good, Ward. It sounds like your recovery is zipping along at a good rate.

A certain amount of the clicking/grinding feeling and sound is normal. It is very common. I had it after my first go around, but not this time.

If it is constant and a concern, it never hurts to put a call in or mention it to the homecare nurse if you have one.
Kev

popping

popping

Ward
I had forgotten about the popping breastbone syndrome!!! (my term) I had it, certainly not constantly, and it went away within a few months. Mine was not painful, just an attention getter. If it continues, is painful or you see any bruising, call your Doc.

My last surgery was through the ribs, under my left arm. No more popping with that one!

Normal Popping

Normal Popping

It's entirely normal Ward. It's even kind of cool to have something major like that happen with no pain. I know... cheap thrills. Don't sweat it though. It would be worrisome if it was not popping.

Good to hear your surgery went well and that you're home now. It really starts to get even better now. Those first two days really ARE killers.

Having just had AVR on 7/26, my son and I were talking a few days after my surgery about the the same things that you described. I told him I could feel that the sternum had been cut and that it reminded me of what the earth's plates shifting underneath the ground must feel and sound like, were it audible. There's a word for that but we couldn't think of it.

So my son came up with the term "skeletal drift" to describe those sensations. LOL.

Dianne

Yeah, I had a period of a few weeks post-surgery with a lot of sternum popping, much like the tectonic plate shifting that Dianne is referring to. My heart buddies here on this site, including Hank, assured me at the time that it was normal and would clear up, which it did. Kind of a funny, somewhat disconcerting feeling but not painful and not problematic as far as I understand.

Of course, I think it is a sign that the two sides of the breastbone have not yet fused back together and thus are still quite vulnerable to mishap if you are not careful. When I was in the CICU my first day after surgery, there was a guy in there recovering from having his sternum repaired after he had not respected his sternum precautions, thus breaking his wires and really messing himself up. You do not want to go there! To me, what he was going through was far worse than the valve surgery itself.

So, don't worry about the popping in itself but do be very careful about adhering to your sternum precautions until all pain, popping, etc. have ceased and your surgeon clears you for lifting, driving, etc.

Sounds like you are well on your way to a super recovery and you will be amazed at the how quickly you will surpass all the milestones along the way. Of course, there may still be some bumps on the road and please take full advantage of this group of heart buddies to help you get through them. They are the greatest and have been a huge source of help and encouragement for me.

Back