Pleural Effusion

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

SailorLDM

Do any of you know about Pleural Effusions and what causes them? I had surgery to replace my calcified Aortic valve about 5 weeks ago. At the time of my Surgery I had been building up fluid in the pleural cavity between my right lung and the chest wall. Approximately 2 liters were drained off during surgery and I had a separate drain line draining the cavity all the while I was in the hospital. The drain line was removed the morning of my discharge and we have been watching to see if the fluid accumulation will return. The latest chest x-rays show that there is a small amount that has re-accumulated but that it is not enough to warrant having it withdrawn by a large bore needle (thoracentesis??). Anybody have experience with this procedure??

The pathology report on the fluid which was drained has so far been inconclusive regarding the cause so more tests are on order and I am scheduled for a cat scan this coming Thursday

Other than this Pleural Effusion issue, my recovery seems to be progressing pretty well. I walk about 2 miles every day and I start Cardiac Re Hab tomorrow.

Any comments on the Pleural Effusion.

Thanks

Larry

Larry,

Yes, I am have had PE at least 5 times since my surgery in 1997, and one time it turned into Pnumonia. What causes it? Well, all kinds of things can. I do know that surgery can someties cause it as the first bout I had was 3 months after my surgery and was not fun. As I'm sure you know, it starts out with some soreness inyour chest that turns into full blown out pain when you take a breath in or out. It give a new definition to pain. The worst part is you get so tired, want to lie down, but doing so is very painful.

I also had the thoracentesis. It was not fun, more scary than anything. Did it hurt... no. They numb you up quite a bit so you don't feel a thing, but the though of a huge needle going into your plural cavity is unnerving.

Hang in there and I'm sure you will get better. Don't let it turn into Pnumonia and monitor yourself for any soreness in your lungs. If you sense anything, get to the doctors office sooner than later. The sooner you catch it, the better you will be.

Peace....

John

Thanks John,

I havent had a lot of pleural type pain after surgery but seem to have developed a hacking cough in the late evening. Im on an antibiotic and take a prescription cough syrup to help control that. Hopefully the cat scan will shed more light on what is going on.

Thanks again for the info on the fluid withrawl proceedure. I had read about the proceedure and although I am not scheduled for it yet I was more than a little nervious about the idea of sticking a needle deep into your chest/back.

Larry

Back