Please help me understand my grandma's recovery. I am so scared.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know fluid build up is common after surgery. Everyone goes on a water pill. Everyone handles surgery differently, some like myself, came off the water pills after about a week. I would think that an elder person has a harder time getting rid of the water. They constantly monitor ankles and feet for swelling. And it may seem hard to breath if you are retaining water. A lot of people if not everyone experiences some depression after cardiac surgery, it is common. The best thing, I would think, and I am not a doctor, that she should try to get up and move around. That is the best thing she can do for herself. Also, I don't think xrays will show a clot, she would have to have either a CAT, MRI, or PET scan to determine a clot. At least I wouldn't think a clot would show up in an xray. This is just my opinion. I hope your grandma gets felling better soon.

NaddieTea,

Thinking of you and hoping that your grandmother gets a little better and stronger everyday. Everyone's journey is different and some of us take longer to recover than others. As you said, she is a strong person and has your loving support. That is a step in the right direction.
I had a collapsed lower lobe and fluid on the lungs (pleural effusion). It did take many months for things to improve, but they did. Wishing your grandmother the same. :)

FWIW, I had OHS at 51. I think I was on the water pills for 2 weeks, and then at my next follow-up I was put back on them for another 10 days or so. So I ended up taking them for most of the first month. It's good to hear that she has been up and walking. Walking is important as well as the spirometer (breathing) exercises.

Nattie Tea - I am your grandma's age and had aortic valve replacement three weeks ago. I am still in the hospital, though not on oxygen; I am at times short of breath and short of energy and sometimes find myself crying at "nothing". And yet my progress is considered normal. I am also taking water pills and rejoice at the loss of two-tenths of a pound since yesterday. I too want to be in my own home, but realize that I am safe and medically cared for here. Be careful that your anxiety isn't affecting your grandma.If you can visit for short periods daily, bringing her little surprises to keep her spirits up, her depression should lift somewhat. Each of us heals at our own speed. Like your grandma, I was sick for some time prior to diagnosis and surgery so am started my recovery from a lower level than someone who was not as ill at surgery.

Try to keep your own spirits up and you'll be a help in her recovery. Good thoughts coming your way.

Catherine

Nattie Tea - I am your grandma's age and had aortic valve replacement three weeks ago. I am still in the hospital, though not on oxygen; I am at times short of breath and short of energy and sometimes find myself crying at "nothing". And yet my progress is considered normal. I am also taking water pills and rejoice at the loss of two-tenths of a pound since yesterday. I too want to be in my own home, but realize that I am safe and medically cared for here. Be careful that your anxiety isn't affecting your grandma.If you can visit for short periods daily, bringing her little surprises to keep her spirits up, her depression should lift somewhat. Each of us heals at our own speed. Like your grandma, I was sick for some time prior to diagnosis and surgery so am started my recovery from a lower level than someone who was not as ill at surgery.

Try to keep your own spirits up and you'll be a help in her recovery. Good thoughts coming your way.

Catherine

Thank you so much for this reply!

NattieTea, keep feeling hopeful. Your grandma will get better and the best thing she could have is you. Patience and moral support from loved ones goes a truly long way. Soon she will be home and doing all the things she loves to do. Just hang in there. I will keep her in my prayers. :)

Latest posts

Back