Plavix and Sore Throat

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich01

I got a sore throat last night and still have it today. A slight headache came with it. It has been at least 30 years since I have had a sore throat. Sore throat and headache are listed as side effects for Plavix.

Has this been a problem for anyone else taking Plavix? If so, how did you resolve it?

Thanks

... or you could have a mild strep throat
I could, but I've never had strep before. The only 2 times I remember having a sore throat was when I had the flu.

Arthritis has also gotten so bad in the last few weeks it almost brings tears to my eyes just standing up.

I could, but I've never had strep before. The only 2 times I remember having a sore throat was when I had the flu.

Arthritis has also gotten so bad in the last few weeks it almost brings tears to my eyes just standing up.

I'm sorry to hear you aren't well, Rich.

I know many medications have joint pain listed as a side effect. Dry cough, too. I hope you are just under the weather and that it clears up for you soon. Have you looked into anti-inflammatory diets?

Mathias is struggling with a couple side effects of his Lisinopril, I believe. He has a dry cough that leads to gagging and eventually vomiting. He also feels like he has a lump in his throat. We are in contact with his Cardio to see what could be up...always makes me nervous when something like a set back happens. Of course, before he got his aneurysm repaired, he complained of the lump in his throat and coughed and gagged a lot then too. Maybe that's where my brain travels to when he complains of these things. I sincerely hope both of these issues (yours and Mathias') are easy fixes.

Plavix? Did someone prescribe it?

Doesn't Plavix act like an NSAID, making your platelets sticky? It's probably not safe to be taking Plavix for more than a few days if you're taking Warfarin.

If it was me, I'd try and find something else for the pain (if there IS anything else that works). I don't think Plavix is safe if you take Warfarin. I'd hate to learn that your 'sore throat' had something to do with bleeding in your throat (my throat is often tender if I'm snoring for very long - if my capillaries bled when I irritated my throat, it could make my throat REALLY sore).

One of the issues with warfarin that they don't talk about is that you usually have to avoid NSAIDs or NSAID-like medications, so there's not a lot that is available for pain. I've read that ketoprofen - unfortunately not covered by most insurance and pretty expensive - is perhaps the only NSAID that can help with pain and not mess much with the platelets.

If I were you, I'd check with a doctor about the safety of taking Plavix while you're on warfarin, and see if she may be able to suggest something else.

I'm not on Warfarin. I was prescribed plavix after having 2 stents. The doctor also would have prescribed it after TAVR, but I was already on it.

I would attribute the sore throat and headache to a lowered immunity system since your body has been exposed to a fair amount of stress the past few months. It might explain your arthritis flare up too.
I am a heart patient and Type 2 diabetic, which causes a lower autoimmune deficiency. Been this way for many years before I was diagnosed as a Diabetic. Always had colds and sore throats. Not cause by medication, just seasonal allergies and season changes. Hate the winter cold and spring allergies.

Latest posts

Back