pill

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shortbed

Hi, I've been under lots of stress latley and last night i forgot to take my coumaden pill. What do i need to do call doc or just wait till tonight and continue on?? My inr has been in range so far. Chuck

All I've been told so far is if that ever happens, dont panic, you'll be fine and DONT double up the next day to catch up, just forget the missed pill and carry as if you'd not forgotten it in the first place.

All I've been told so far is if that ever happens, dont panic, you'll be fine and DONT double up the next day to catch up, just forget the missed pill and carry as if you'd not forgotten it in the first place.

I was not saying double up, it might have sounded that way:eek: ... you are right, just continue on your normal schedule.... it is not that critical, if it was we would all be in trouble:D

Oh my God, your human! :D We all forget sometimes. Not a big deal at all. You have a few choices.
1. Take your normal dose tonight plus half of the missed dose. Then do the same tomorrow.
2. Forget about it, take your normal dose tonight and just continue your normal schedule.

It will all work out in the end.

By the way, I got rid of the sad smilie heading the post. Smile and be happy! :D

I take mine at 6:30 pm and don't forget it because I have a BB pill to take during the evening.
BUT, if I was to forget and only notice in the morning I would take the full dose in the morning and take half that evening.
I would not be comfortable just skipping a whole dose.

Just for clarification, should one wait till the pill's regular time or take it as soon as one remembers?!

If it's more then 8 hours late, just wait for the next dose or halve it like I discussed above.

I've played with some different mathematical games to basically divide up the missed dose and spread it out over 2 (or even 3 days). I came to the conclusion that was TOO Complicated.

I normally take my Warfarin before bed.
If I discover that I missed taking it (on the next morning),
I just go ahead and take the missed dose and resume my normal schedule that night.

If I discover it later, I still take the Missed Dose at that time. My thinking is to minimize the 'down time' and get back to normal ASAP. Then I take 1/2 of the Next Dose that night and add another 1/2 dose the next day.

Most Doctors advise against taking a Double Dose at one time. Our resident Anti-Coagulation Guru, AL Lodwick (Registered Pharmacist and Certified AntiCoagulation Care Provider) has posted that he doesn't think ONE double dose would be bad in general.

Splitting the missed dose (or the next dose) in half and taking it over 2 days avoids Double Dosing, should be safe since at most you would be taking 1.5X your normal dose, and gets you back to your total weekly dose in a few days.

NO MATH, NO OVERDOSE, NO PROBLEM.

FWIW, I use a 7 day Pill Box for my Morning and Evening Meds.
I also have a 31 day data sheet to record when I take each medication (or the dose). I still miss a few doses every year but don't ever Double Dose with this system.

'AL Capshaw'

Latest posts

Back