Pikes Peak

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzz Lanning

All,

Well, I haven't been on the ValveReplacement.Com website too much in the last few months. I've had a busy summer; MUCH better than last summer! Anyway, 374 days post-op, I hiked to the summit of Pikes Peak, elevation ~ 14,110 feet, from Manitou Springs (Barr Trail). I covered the 12.6 miles and 7,500 feet elevation gain in 5 hours & 51 minutes. I took several pictures along the way and stopped for about 25 minutes to rest and eat. My time was about 40 minutes slower than 6 years ago, but LOTS has happened between then and now! All is fine, except for my calf muscles! The heart (& valve) are all doing fine . . .

Buzz:

That's impressive. Thanks for sharing. For those of us in the waiting room it's nice to hear stories of return to normalcy.

P. J.

Great going Buzz.
I'm hoping that when I hit my first year anniversary, my body will be able to do at least what it was doing 10 years ago. Anyway, that's my goal! :D :D

Hearing that you're doing so good after a year gives me renewed hope. :)
Mary

Great accomplishment, Buzz! That's a darn good way to celebrate your 1 year milestone. Thanks for sharing -- keep those reports coming!

Great work

Great work

Buzz Lanning said:
All,

Well, I haven't been on the ValveReplacement.Com website too much in the last few months. I've had a busy summer; MUCH better than last summer! Anyway, 374 days post-op, I hiked to the summit of Pikes Peak, elevation ~ 14,110 feet, from Manitou Springs (Barr Trail). I covered the 12.6 miles and 7,500 feet elevation gain in 5 hours & 51 minutes. I took several pictures along the way and stopped for about 25 minutes to rest and eat. My time was about 40 minutes slower than 6 years ago, but LOTS has happened between then and now! All is fine, except for my calf muscles! The heart (& valve) are all doing fine . . .

Great Achievement Buzz. You have earned our admiration and respect.
Targets and milestones of this kind are very important to us all. They affirm and serve as markers that we can come back to normal life, or better. I personally completed an 8k road race in good time exactly 1 year to the day of having AVR surgery. In April this year I completed a 6 day Cradle Mountain hike in Tasmania, Australia, one of the best walks to be had in this world. A beautiful and life affirming experience.
I say this not so much for me but to note that last Thursday I had a phone call from a guy ( Lance) who had been referred by his, and my surgeon. He was trying to chose between porcine and mechanical valve and just needed to talk some of this stuff through. Many of us have wrestled with this. In my case I opted for a mechanical valve. I guess the surgeon was asking me to assure the guy that there is rich life after AVR for most of us and that life with warfarin can be managed.Not always easily, but managed. This site helps do that through information and support from people who have been there and done that.
Interestingly the metaphore for surgery often used here is going to the mountain. Lance goes in tomorrow for surgery at Epworth hospital in Melbourne. I hope his mountain will be as successful as your Pikes Peak trek. So spare a thought for a guy doing some hard lines in Melbourne and continue to enjoy the beautiful Colorado life and environment. I am a graduate of CU and am almost moved to tears whenever I hear of that beautiful and inspiring place.

Thanks for sharing your achievement. Keep up the power work. Live strong.

GB

Way to go Buzz! Did you have a pick up at the top? Wasn't there some kind of hut half way? If this is the same trail, I did it to the hut and back in '94 because my friend couldn't drive to the top. Will

Pikes Peak

William said:
Way to go Buzz! Did you have a pick up at the top? Wasn't there some kind of hut half way? If this is the same trail, I did it to the hut and back in '94 because my friend couldn't drive to the top. Will

William,

I bought a round-trip ticket on the Cog Railway ($29) to guarantee a seat on the return trip. There are two possible "huts"; one is the Barr Camp at 6.8 miles (10,200 feet), and the other is A-Frame at 9.5 miles (11,900 feet). Note: The Barr Trail was constructed between 1914 - 1918. This is one of the longest hikes (and largest elevation gains) to a 14,000 ft. peak in Colorado; I think . . .

What a great hike and good way to celebrate. Tom knows that trail well,. don't you, Tom? :)

Tom, are you going to do the Challenge again this year?

Yes, that trail is a thrill! With ideal weather, it is tough but hugely rewarding. No, I'm not doing Pikes Peak Challenge this year. I'm considering Long's Peak in 2006.

Buzz, how was your weather? Can you post your pictures for us?

Pikes Peak

The weather during my hike was excellent; sunny, light-winds, and a summit temperature of 47 degrees. It was a little warm at the lower elevations. I was really sweating early . . .

I'll try to post a few pictures of my hike. I'm not sure of file size limitations, so this might not work . . .

Back