Pig valve is kaput

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I had a valve replacement in Feb 2012. I went for my annual echo and....well...the results ain't great. The valve is failing and I'm experience regurgitation. The next step is a heart cath in August. Am I freaked? a little. Am I nervous? ya, of course. However, I'm lucky to have access to one of the best cardiologists in the SF Bay area. He's talking about the advancements of valve replacement by catherization. Has anyone had this done? I'd love to hear your experiences and recovery.

Thanks

Dave

Well I should of been on here sooner in case someone needed information , but going to rehab and drs and trying to rest up in between. Lots of family over. Been busy. So I need like 5 other surgeries beside the heart. So one of my cardiologists suggested tavr. So didn't know what to do. So through all of the debating and waiting, I finally had the tavr. So far so good. The surgery took around 90 minutes, I had twilight sleep. I only felt my heart speed up and when they put a stitch in the artery. Other than that, not much of a problem. Out 3 days after the surgery. So far so good, hope it lasts a long time. It's kind of new though, so time will tell. Praying it does. Just read where they are working on a new one that repairs itself. I would put it on here but don't know how, Hunnybunny gave me instructions but I still can't get it to come up.

Dave, My porcine valve only lasted a little over 4 years so I know exactly how you feel. My diagnosis was last May and had an On-X mechanical valve replacement November 1. They talked of TAVR but a lot of things come into play when having it done so be sure and ask a lot of questions. I chose not to go that way as I understood I could only have it done twice and at age 61 now I wanted to have the full surgery now as opposed to when I get older. Made sense to me anyway, but maybe things have changed.

I am 8 months out now and doing well. Surgery was about the same as first but my healing time was a little longer. INR testing was a big thing for me at the time but have found it to be pretty mundane. I still go to coumadin clinic once a month but it is already routine.

The decisions were hard to face the second time and I definitely had some worries but what are you going to do? I chose my doctors and surgeons, asked a ton of questions and did not stop (still don't), and then put it in their hands along with the help of my higher power.

Best of luck to you and will follower your journey if you share with us.

jwinter;n877874 said:
Dave, My porcine valve only lasted a little over 4 years so I know exactly how you feel. My diagnosis was last May and had an On-X mechanical valve replacement November 1. They talked of TAVR but a lot of things come into play when having it done so be sure and ask a lot of questions. I chose not to go that way as I understood I could only have it done twice and at age 61 now I wanted to have the full surgery now as opposed to when I get older. Made sense to me anyway, but maybe things have changed.

I am 8 months out now and doing well. Surgery was about the same as first but my healing time was a little longer. INR testing was a big thing for me at the time but have found it to be pretty mundane. I still go to coumadin clinic once a month but it is already routine.

The decisions were hard to face the second time and I definitely had some worries but what are you going to do? I chose my doctors and surgeons, asked a ton of questions and did not stop (still don't), and then put it in their hands along with the help of my higher power.

Best of luck to you and will follower your journey if you share with us.

Jwinter,

Was your second surgery minimally invasive or full sternotomy? Wondering because I'm facing a second surgery. Thanks.

tigerlily, mine was full sternotomy both times. I was just looking at my scar a couple days ago and it is barely visible anymore. The human body is truly amazing.

My best wishes to you as you make your decisions and let us know how your journey goes.

Back