Picture of what doctors think of as a "young" patient?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoltania

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Can anyone point me to the picture that has been posted here a few times of the difference between what doctors consider a "young" patient and what the rest of us consider "young"? I wanted to send it to a friend and have been unsuccessfully searching for it.

Thanks,
Claudia

Technically a patient over 60 is medically classified as elderly. So anyone less than 60 must be young :)

If you are talking about age for valve choices, an age of about 70 is often an age cut off. However, it depends upon more than just chronological age. There are "old" people in their early 60s who have significant serious chronic diseases (for example emphysema, coronary artery disease) and there are "young" people in their 70s who run marathons.

Reactions: Eva
In the hospital for my valve surgery at 44 it became quite common for any hospital staff that visited my room to say, “Gosh, you’re so young!”

I was such a novelty at 17/18 (birthday during my stay) that I got my own private room. They didn’t want a teenager with high school friends coming by sharing a room with any senior citizens. Shared recovery rooms were the norm at this hospital.

In the hospital for my valve surgery at 44 it became quite common for any hospital staff that visited my room to say, “Gosh, you’re so young!”
When I saw a cardiologist at the Royal Brompton heart hospital three years ago when I was 63 she immediately exclaimed "You're young to have a heart problem !" - then when I explained I'd had bicuspid valve and a replacement she understood. So doctors must tend to think of heart conditions as a issue of very old patients !

;)

Hello! My doctor said I was the youngest patient he ever replaced a valve in. I was 18 years old. Replaced my aortic valve with a St. Jude 21 and 6 years later I'm still going strong!

That picture gave me a good laugh! When I tell people I am part bionic they always looks at me with a weird face and think its crazy. (it kind of is)

When I saw a cardiologist at the Royal Brompton heart hospital three years ago when I was 63 she immediately exclaimed "You're young to have a heart problem !" - then when I explained I'd had bicuspid valve and a replacement she understood. So doctors must tend to think of heart conditions as a issue of very old patients !
I was 57 when I interviewed surgeons! Two were against mechanical valves ... “too young to be on anticoagulant”!

I was 57 when I interviewed surgeons! Two were against mechanical valves ... “too young to be on anticoagulant”!
I am 62 with surgery next week. Tricuspid, mini sternotomy, Edwards Bovine valve.
not srewhy I have stenosis and regurgitation so “young.” My Gdma died of congestive heart failure at 63. That’s my only clue.

I was 36 when I had my second bypass and Aortic valve Replacement. Was never considered too young, cause I only had a 15 year guarantee from the repair at age 8 in 1973. What was surprising what the surgeon said about the valve he replaces, it was in the worst shape he had ever seen. I had quit smoking a few months before surgery. No one is ever too young. for newborn babies, minutes old, have OPH.

Reactions: Eva
My problem was birth defect of the aortic valve, not too young then. But had surgery repair at 8 years old and then had replacement with St Jude's aortic valve and on Coumadin at age 36 years old and on warfarin every since then in 2001 a week after the 09-11-2001. I will never forget.

Latest posts

Back