Phizer stops study on potential new anticoagulant

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
However, a different new anticoagulant just finished another trial, this time for safety and effectiveness in elderly Atrial Fibrillation (AFib), vs the use of warfarin: http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/AHA/23346

Among the findings, lower intracranial bleeding events than warfarin, a concern for people with aneurysms and connective tissue disorders, such as some BAV patients. As far as I know, the drug is not being trialed for valves at this time. It appears to be approved in Canada and Europe for prevention of venous thromboembolism (VTE) in patients who have undergone elective total hip replacement or total knee replacement surgery, but not yet approved in the US or the UK.

Best wishes,

Best wishes,

Yes, I think this came out earlier this week. I believe the current count is two new approved anticoagulants, both Xa inhibitors, and one other withdrawn before reaching the market, plus study/work still underway on an antidote for the Xa inhibitors.

They've been busy bees in this field.

I hope that by the time I have dementia there's some drug that is simpler to use than coumadin, and has a long track record with valvers....But I'm not holding my breath. Some day I may have to rely on someone else to manage me properly, but I figure I've got about 30 years.

This is a potentially very lucrative market. If anticoagulation can be done safely, with minimal or no side effects or adverse reactions, and no need for monitoring and testing, I'm sure a lot of people would think about jumping on board. Until generic warfarin became readily available (for as little as a dime or so per pill), a LOT of people were paying around $1 a pill for Coumadin.

A new drug that will do what warfarin does, but without the need for testing, may be worth a few dollars a day to many people - especially if insurance covers it. If you figure that there are at least 4 million people in America (from what I've read) taking anticoagulants, the market is pretty immense - and it's no wonder the drug companies are trying to develop something better than warfarin.

For valvers, this may take quite a while - the current meds are just for a-fib.

Back