Petechiae and Warfarin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VWalk

I'm 51 years old and had OHS 13 weeks ago. The purpose of the surgery was to repair an atrial aortic aneurysm and a leaky valve. I opted for the mechanical valve. My recovery is going well with the exception of Petechiae on the lower 8 inches of my legs (ankle and above). The Petechiae appeared about 3 weeks ago. It isn't painful, but feels like a minor sunburn. I'm in cardiac rehab 3 times per week and walk about 2 miles per day. I'm certain the Petechiae is associated to the Warfarin. I'm curious to hear from others who may have experienced this condition. Did it go away? Does exercise worsen the Petechiae? Finally, I read elsewhere that a person's Petechiae vanished after they switched from Warfarin to Coumadin. Thank you.

Yes, I've been seen by my cardiologist and dermatologist. Both don't seem terribly concerned and it appears to be fairly rare. My cardiologist has checked my platelet count, which is normal. He said to call if it gets worse. I'm hoping that another user can share their experience with Petechiae, so I know what to possibly expect.

If you don't hear anything, you might want to put "petechiae" in the search bar and look at old threads. I remember slipkid had an issue with these not long ago. But it doesn't seem to be a super common topic on here. I've only had them a couple times. One time never did figure out why, though much doctor freakout and testing happened. Other time was after a blood donation, I got them on my arm. I'm only on 325 mg aspirin though, not warfarin.

Oops. I forgot to mention that my INR has been between 2.1 and 2.6. Some have found that they get Petechiae when their INR gets high. That isn't the case with me.
You're correct Dornole. I've searched the topic on this forum and the info is sparse.

Back