Pet Food Recall

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bina said:
Good gina....throw it out!
I guess you just need to watch your cat for any signs....we clean our litter box every day, that way it's easy to keep track of daily urination.
We do also and there does not appear to be any change in the urination amounts. I do have a cat that used to have a problem with vomiting but the vet diagnosed him as having an esophageal sphincter issue and it has been going on so long that it does seem to be a separate issue (he is on prednisone which takes care of the problem). I guess I am being paranoid right now but better safe than sorry. My babies are worth a lot more than 20 bucks worth of tossed food.

I feed my beloved yellow lab, "Sadie," Science diet -- the dry, as well as one can daily. I've been reading the labels over and over, and find no wheat gluten listed. However, "corn gluten meal" is a listed ingredient. I gather it's not contaminated as wheat gluten was, but it sure makes me nervous. I don't find the Science on the dog food recall lists, and Sadie is as lively as always. But I know for all of us dog and cat lovers, these are very nerve-wracking times. Hope out of all this will come better screening and safety protections.

Hi all

Here's a copy of an email I received this morning from Nutro. I use their dry food and am on their list, so we receive updates frequently. Don't know if it applies to any of you out there, but I thought it might be of interest:

March 30, 2007

Dear Nutro Customers,

As promised, we are continuing to share any and all information and updates we have on the Menu Foods recall. Earlier today (Friday, March 30, 2007) the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) and Menu Foods announced that a substance called melamine was found in the wheat gluten of recalled products, and not the aminopterin, as earlier suspected.

With regard to Nutro pet foods, we can reassure you:

Nutro's dry pet foods do NOT contain wheat gluten.
Nutro's dry pet foods do NOT contain imported grains.
Nutro's dry pet foods are NOT manufactured by Menu Foods.
None of Nutro's dry pet foods are included on the Menu Foods recall list.
Pet owners should feel safe and confident feeding all Nutro dry pet foods, as well as any Nutro wet foods that are not on the Menu Foods recall list.
For a list of Nutro products included in the recall, as well as further information about Nutro and how
its products are affected by the Menu Foods recall, please visit www.nutroproducts.com or call
1- 800-833-5330.
Our team of customer care representatives is working diligently to respond to each and every email personally. We ask for your patience during this very unfortunate situation.

In addition, as we have always done, Nutro will treat its customers fairly and with compassion. Those who have suffered through an illness or death of their pet and feel a Nutro product in any way contributed to that illness or death should contact us directly through our Consumer Service Department at 800-833-5330. These requests will be resolved as quickly as possible and we apologize for any delays our customers may be experiencing when contacting us.

Sincerely,

Dave Kravis,
President & CEO
Nutro Products

Copyright ©2007Nutro Products, Inc. All rights reserved.

This was just on my home page.....apparently ALPO PRODUCTS ARE NOW AFFECTED.....PLEASE READ:

Pet Food Recall Expands to New Wet Brand

Saturday March 31, 10:02 AM EDT

WASHINGTON (AP) ? The recall of wet and dry pet foods contaminated with a chemical found in plastics and pesticides expanded Saturday to include a new brand even as investigators were puzzled why the substance would kill dogs and cats.

Nestle Purina PetCare Co. said it was recalling all sizes and varieties of its Alpo Prime Cuts in Gravy wet dog food with specific date codes. Purina said a limited amount of the food contained a contaminated wheat gluten from China.

The same U.S. supplier also provided wheat gluten, a protein source, to a Canadian company, Menu Foods, which this month recalled 60 million containers of wet dog and cat food it produces for sale under nearly 100 brand labels.

Menu Foods and the Food and Drug Administration, which regulates the pet food industry, have refused to identify the company that supplied the contaminated wheat gluten.

Hill's Pet Nutrition said late Friday that its Prescription Diet m/d Feline dry cat food included the tainted wheat gluten. The FDA said the source was the same unidentified company. Hill's, a division of Colgate-Palmolive Co., is so far the only company to recall any dry pet food.

Federal testing of some recalled pet foods and the wheat gluten used in their production turned up the chemical melamine. Melamine is used to make kitchenware and other plastics. It is both a contaminant and byproduct of several pesticides, including cyromazine, according to the Environmental Protection Agency. Melamine is toxic only in very high doses and has been shown in rats to produce bladder tumors, according to the EPA.

The federal pet food testing failed to confirm the presence of aminopterin, a cancer drug also used as rat poison, the FDA said. Cornell University scientists also found melamine in the urine of sick cats, as well as in the kidney of one cat that died after eating some of the recalled food.

Earlier, the New York State Food Laboratory identified aminopterin as the likely culprit in the pet food. But the FDA said it could not confirm that finding, nor have researchers at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey when they looked at tissue samples taken from dead cats.

Experts at the University of Guelph in Canada detected aminopterin in some samples of the recalled pet food, but only in very small percentages.

"Biologically, that means nothing. It wouldn't do anything," said Grant Maxie, a veterinary pathologist at the university. "This is a puzzle."

The FDA was working to rule out the possibility that the contaminated wheat gluten could have made it into any human food.

Menu Foods announced the recall this month after animals died of kidney failure after eating the company's products.

An FDA official allowed that it was not immediately clear whether the melamine was the culprit. The agency's investigation continues, said Stephen F. Sundlof, director of the FDA's Center for Veterinary Medicine.

Menu Foods said the only certainty was that imported wheat gluten was the likely source of the deadly contamination, even if the actual contaminant remained in doubt.

"The important point today is that the source of the adulteration has been identified and removed from our system," said Paul Henderson, Menu Foods chief executive officer and president. Henderson suggested his company would pursue legal action against the supplier.

About 70 percent of the wheat gluten used in the United States for human and pet food is imported from the European Union and Asia, according to the Pet Food Institute, an industry group.

One veterinarian suggested the international sourcing of ingredients would force the U.S. "to come to grips with a reality we had not appreciated."

"When you change from getting an ingredient from the supplier down the road to a supplier from around the globe, maybe the methods and practices that were effective in one situation need to be changed," said Tony Buffington, a professor of veterinary clinical sciences at Ohio State University.

Sundlof said the agency may change how it regulates the pet food industry.

"In this case, we're going to have to look at this after the dust settles and determine if there is something from a regulatory standpoint that we could have done differently to prevent this incident from occurring," he said.

???

On the Net:

Nestle Purina PetCare Co.: http://www.purina.com

Hill's Pet Nutrition: http://www.hillspet.com/

Menu Foods: http://menufoods.com/recall/

RELATED QUOTES
Symbol Last Trade Change
CL

Enter one or more symbols

Quotes delayed up to 20 minutes.

Thanks Nancy and Evelyn for the links. Good idea to put ourselves on the email list for announcements from these companies.

For those of you deciding to change from dog food to people food, please be aware that there are certain foods which can be dangerous to cats and dogs. Our local news listed coffee grounds (my dog LOVES coffee beans....oops!) and grapes and raisins as being toxic to many. I was surprised by that. I'm sure a quick call to the vets will give you a full list of no-no's.

Others who are investigating organic foods..please keep us posted. I will be looking into that as well.

Marguerite

My SO works for a grocery chain and said a lot of people were buying Alpo yesterday.:mad: :rolleyes: I think any product with wheat gluten (pet or people) should be set aside. I have all mine in a bag pending a total recall where I can return it.

I also use Evolve cat food - no wheat gluten and good ingredients like brown rice and vegies. Also, Sheba just came out with a line of cat food (not sure about dog) that is on the expensive side but has very few ingredients (one label was tune, shrimp, water and tapioca (for thickening) and one other (can't recall now) that is probably for stability. My cats love it and I will be buying more. I would rather pay a little more and know the ingredients are safe.

I have purchased a product called "Lick my Chops", Distintive Delicacies which has a lot of natural ingredients. However, I can only find it at PetFoods.com which does carry a number of organic lines. If you sign up for their emails, they send "coupons" for up to 25% on products which gets them into a decent price area.

Hi Gina

You're soooo right.....who cares if you have to pay a little bit more. It's absolutely worth it for me. We feed Nutro dry/Ultra and now are feeding Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance. No problems, thank goodness, but I did return to Petfooddirect and Petco 12-12packs of Nutro cans......I didn't care whether they were in the recall or not!!!! It's just not worth taking the chance!

Evelyn

Hi Gina,

Question about changing cat foods. My baby:) eats Nutro Natural Oceanfish (dry) mixed with Imms Adult Indoor. She loves both of them mixed. She turned her nose up to the little Nutro packs (wet food) few years ago. Tried others as well...she's just interested in the dry. At this point....it looks like that may be a better option! Pretty confident what we have at home right now is not suspect as she would have been sick already.

Do I trust what we have been doing? Or go natural? I am torn:confused:

Gina,

I think the thing to worry about right now is anything with wheat gluten, whether wet or dry. Down the road it might be something else but we can't cover every base. I pulled everything out of my pantry that had wheat gluten in it even if it hasn't yet been recalled.

I have decided to switch back and forth between cooking for the cats and serving them cat food that has the fewest ingredients. I don't always have the time to do anything but open a can but I am watching what is in those cans now like a hawk. I also give them Nutri-Cal for vitamins so I feel like they have a balanced diet.

TY Gina. Wonder if the cat will just start eating what we eat for dinner:p ;)

Just zapped a quick note off to her breeder. Will post her thoughts when they come in!

Gina, we bought Alpo and yesterday it was added to the list.

a vet gave my cousin's son a recipe for his dog. it contained hamburger, rice and I don't recall the rest of the ingredients. So I searched on the net and found recipes. Most contained meat, rice, chicken, broth you make yourself, etc. So go take a look yourself, pick one out. Mostly guaranteed your animals will love human food. Ours do. I plan to make up a recipe tomorrow. In meantime they are eating leftovers and dry food.

just remember folks.. if you're going to make your own pet food, you need to be careful what you feed and you need to add suppliments to ensure they are getting all the nutrients they need. I planned on going back to doing home made soon, but now that Meow Mix is on the list of possible reviews by their owner Del Monte Foods (delmonte.com) i'm going thru my holistic pet books for recipies and starting this weekend..

one hint.. my renal cat is finicky and doesn't like most wets.. but my other two eat Pet Guard brand.. all natural, no chemicals etc... I have a natural pet store in town, but she also has a web site... www.naturalcat.com where you can order and she ships food/treats/natural litter/etc

you can also go raw.. but again, you need to know what you're doing with either raw or homemade diets.. or you can be doing more bad then good..

feeding cats an all dry diet is bad for them.. most are grain based vrs protein.. cats and dogs do not need or should have grains.. they are carnivors.. but since most do have some amt of grain, I chose rice vrs corn.. a good all natural dry is Innova EVO no grains - closest to raw without being raw....most OTC brands of both wet and dry have ingredients which are not fit for comsumption from either human or animal.. think of it like you living entirely on junk food.. yet there are very little controls of what can go into pet food.. bi-products of anykind is something I do try to avoid. (not always sucessfull, as with my finicky cat, but knowing what that can include - I do work at avoiding it if possible) chemicals are another..

not trying to scare anyone.. as this latest pet food issue has even me rethinking and going back to homemade for now.. but trust me, I realize that just like with human food, the healthier it is, the more expensive.. all I ask of anyone that I preach the virtures of raw/natural diet is that they do the best they can do without over extending themselves.. showing of love towards animals comes in more ways then just the food we feed them.

As far as I am aware......there is nothing wrong with Nutro and Iams dry foods for cats. They DO NOT contain the wheat gluten. My cat has been eating only dry for a few years as she turned he nose up at the wet food. She is perfectly nurished and healthy according to the vet. Looks like we can stick with our current plan as it does not appear wheat gluten involved in those particular foods. Did toss a package of soft treat by Purina. Wheat gluten was noted on the lable.

I made some food yesterday. I used ground turkey, rice, chicken and pork broth, black eyed peas (after all, Miss SS is a southern dog), two eggs and other vegs. She turned up her nose right off. Cats wouldn't even walk near it. Last night Miss SS gobbled up all of her serving with relish. I guess it was hot first time and she doesn't do hot. I was afraid to add calcium because of the cats.

Just picked up a loaf of bread, and guess what? Wheat gluten is in the ingredients. I wonder how soon it will be before we have to worry about people food?

I did write to the bakery involved and asked that very question.

Wheat gluten is in a ton of processed foods! TON! It will cause a mass pandemic is they recall everything with wheat gluten. Hopefully it will not come it that!

Apparently, it's not the other chemical (the cancer drug/rodenticide) that is the real problem. They're now focussing on melamine found in the gluten.

Melamine is an organic plastic product that was created and used by American Cyanamid for molding light, hard, sturdy, inexpensive, opaque plastic objects, such as colorful dinnerware, notably Boontonware and MelMac, in the 1950s and 60s.

In the granular form used for molding, it happens to contain large amounts of natural, organic chemicals, such as nitrogen and urea, which allow it to be misused as a stable, slow-dissolving (and thus slow-releasing) fertilizer for non-edible plants. If not eaten or breathed, it's likely harmless, and will eventually break down into its relatively harmless, original, organic constituents. It grows a beautiful lawn of grass that appears nearly blue.

Apparently, because of its slow-dissolving nature, it contaminates edible crops as melamine dust during the harvest process. At its inception, it was never intended to be used as a fertilizer, and I don't know if it's ever been sold for that purpose in this country or not.

I'm sure that melamine compounds are manufactured by many companies nowadays, so this is not a swipe at American Cyanamid.

My mother still has old Boontonware pieces from the plant in Boonton, NJ. The granulated material at that time was being produced in Wallingford, CT.

Best wishes,

Google news has several articles that the FDA is now investigating wheat gluten in human foods, particularly breads. And several markets have removed some of the breads from their shelves to be on the safe side.

Back