PDF from STS What to expect after OHS

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jason you want to stay out of Hot Tubs and any steam baths etc as that puts added strain on the heart ......you will find you get tired in any EXTREME situation either hot or cold
Is this a permanent thing where we need to avoid that or only shortly after the surgery? I haven't been in a hot tub since I got diagnosed with moderate aortic valve stenosis 3 years ago

Is this a permanent thing where we need to avoid that or only shortly after the surgery? I haven't been in a hot tub since I got diagnosed with moderate aortic valve stenosis 3 years ago

Hey Newarrior.

Greg made that post over 11 years ago, so I'm not so sure that you will get a reply. But, personally, I was given no instruction to avoid hot tubs or saunas and I do both. I can think of no reason why someone who has a prosthetic valve needs to avoid hot tubs. In fact, I enjoyed a hot tub twice this past week and I'm still here to talk about it.

Hey Newarrior.

Greg made that post over 11 years ago, so I'm not so sure that you will get a reply. But, personally, I was given no instruction to avoid hot tubs or saunas and I do both. I can think of no reason why someone who has a prosthetic valve needs to avoid hot tubs. In fact, I enjoyed a hot tub twice this past week and I'm still here to talk about it.
I've been to sauna more than a few times too

Hey, just to be avoided while healing up so the wound is kept clean.. Take advice from the hospital about getting back into a tub/pool...

P

Hey Newarrior.

Hey thanks man--In 2011 it was stated that too much heat puts pressure on the heart...my doctors here in Thailand have said the same thing--they may be referring more to pre op patients like myself..I know that a lot of heat can also spike blood pressure

Hey, just to be avoided while healing up so the wound is kept clean.. Take advice from the hospital about getting back into a tub/pool...

P:
Doctors and surgeons have always advised us of that. Due to the chlorine and germs in the tub/hot tub/pool.

To be clear, I did not do hot tub or sauna for at least 3 months after surgery. Make sure to ask your surgeon and/or cardiologist when you can start resuming activites such as hot tubs and follow their guidance to the T.

I want to go walking in the pool
well I'm pretty sure you'll need to NOT do any swimming at all for at least 8 weeks, too much strain on the sternum.

After that the skin will be healed and the skin is the primary barrier to infection. So you should be fine.

I'm going to say you should be doing walks every day, a few times a day from the first day out of hospital.

I don't know what your valve choice is, but I'm going to say (having known you here for some years now) that you should pick a tissue valve, I'll venture that the Edwards Resilia is probably the best bet. At your age it should see you out. Especially given your anxiety levels you are psychologically not a good candidate for a mechanical NOR managing your INR properly.

Best Wishes

I looked to see if this is listed somewhere but didn't find it (its from 09) but there is a pretty good PDF put together by the "The Society of Thoracic Surgeons to help answer some questions that patients and their families often ask after heart surgery or, sometimes, before their surgery so that they are better prepared for recovery. Remember: If your doctor's instructions differ in any way from those listed here, always follow your own doctor's specific instructions"

I thought it was pretty good and mentions alot of things people ask about that doctors don't think to mention, like the lump /bump at the top of the incision (yes it is normal) your taste may be off, trouble sleeping ect
http://www.sts.org/documents/pdf/whattoexpect.pdf
This link isn't working anymore. This is exactly what I'm trying to find.

After 14 years since the OP posted that link, you can expect that things may have changed/moved around a bit.
I don't think david looks at things carefully ... be it dates, be it advice, be it anything. Then there's the issue of processing.

1709503509143.png

Latest posts

Back