Palpititations or Missed Beats

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHeart

I'm over 2 weeks post op with ON-X AVR, INR tested 3.0 earlier today at the lab. Today I suddenly got multiple palpitations. I could feel, and hear them in the stethoscope. My heart would beat like normal, then miss a beat or palpitate and then returned to normal starting with a bigger beat. This happened a couple times a minute, then would be normal for a few minutes, then a couple more for a minute, and slowly less often. I went to the hospital and my EKG and blood test are normal. Doctor thinks maybe I need to rest more, I probably do. I might get a halter monitor. Now a couples hours later they've calmed down to a few per hour. No other symptoms and I feel fine walking. My valve sounds the same tick/clink.

Anyone had more palpitations or missed beats than usual after surgery?

It's fairly common to have skipped beats after surgery. There is a medical term for it. My surgery was so long ago that I really don't remember much about what I felt afterward. I'm sure you will get a number of responses from folks who have recently had OHS. BTW, welcome to the forum. Stick around, someone from this group can answer most questions you have.

Don't worry about it 5yrs later still get some missed beats here and there. My Cardio told me that its normal for everyone to have skipped beats we tend to feel them more due to our valves. Keep strong ! ;-)

Hi! I had my surgery 5 weeks ago and have an on-x as well. I also started having palpitations at two weeks. They worsened when I would lie down or sit. It was very distracting and worriesome. Later that week, I saw my cardiologist for a check up and an echo. Everything looked normal. He cut my beta blocker dosage in half. He thought the dosage of beta blocker was slowing my heart rate too much, causing my heart to throw extra beats. A week later, they were gone. A few days after my surgery, I had a couple PVCs but went back to normal rhythm pretty quickly. It felt like consistent PVCs at two weeks after surgery, but only when I would sit or lie down.

I had them even before surgery, then after surgery they were really concerning because I also had a very high resting heart rate of nearly 100 bpm just sitting still so palpitations felt even clunkier. My surgeon said that my heart had just been through a LOT and that it would calm down after it heals for a while, but to give it time and try not to stress about it, that will only make it worse. He called it irritable heart, don't think thats a technical term but more his own description. It took a while but it definitely calmed down and got more regular. I still get little spells once in a while of missed or extra beats. One thing that helped me tremendously was taking a B12 supplement every day. I had some unrelated complaints that made my Primary Care Doc run a standard blood test and I was a tiny bit low on B12, he shrugged it off as if it was insignificant. I started taking a daily B12 anyway and wow, what a difference it made for my heart rate and rhythm. Both improved greatly in my opinion. Just my own experience, not medical advice. But theres got to be a connection. When I read up on what B12 does in the body it made sense to me

I talked to my cardiologist and her nurse and they are not worried about it and say this can be common. My hemoglobin is a little low but not bad so I started taking 10mg iron.

I had them even before surgery, then after surgery they were really concerning because I also had a very high resting heart rate of nearly 100 bpm just sitting still so palpitations felt even clunkier.
Same. Since my surgery, my resting HR was 100bpm and has slowly decreased to around 80bpm now. It was 60 before surgery.

I would get some very noticeable PVCs before surgery, after surgery they put me on a beta blocker which worried me due to known side effects. The beta blocker really minimized the PVCs I used to get so much that they are very rare now. I never had any of the side effects known to beta blockers so when the 3 months was over I stayed on them vs. switch back to Valsartan and have been very pleased. I did have some nasty PVCs recently again, but I attribute those to the heavy iron I was on after my GI bleed and recovering from mild anemia.

Latest posts

Back