Palpitations / Irregular Valve clicking?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poyda

Hi all!

Just wasted to get some thoughts on an issue I've been having recently. At times i feel i'm having palpitations. Sometimes i feel them quite strongly other times not quite as bad

However, my main query is when i'm having these palpitations, I can hear a difference in the clicking of my valve. I hear (although i mostly tune it out) the clicking all the time and there is definitely a difference when these palpitations are happening. It's hard to describe how it's different but there is a difference for sure.

Am i crazy? or is there some merit to what i'm feeling/ hearing , i don't see cardiology until September and my GP's answer was a bit ambiguous. so i thought id come here

Also, if it's any help i have had issued with arrhythmia's before, having had 2 heart ablations to try an correct SVT (of which i had 4 episode the past 2 months but not long enough to capture on a ECG)

Cheer in advance for any input!

Poyda :)

Yep same here, it slows down and speeds up for few seconds, sometimes theres a pause of no clicks..
and then back to normal, Im told its pretty normal for most people its just the fact we can hear it now.
Every click is a contraction of the ventricals aka your heart beat remember

Of course if your concerned with your past history go and see your GP again, is he aware of your past arrythmia issues or just paying lip service while playing solataire ?

Last edited:
Me too, seems more common in the evening when going to sleep.
I've had off and on for decades. Last talked about it to my surgeon in 1998, he wasn't concerned

I get those palpitations too. As heart patients, I guess we are super aware of any little flutter. Even more so when you can hear the odd beats w/ a mechanical. :)

Poyda, they're called PVCs and they're quite normal. I have less than I used to, because I'm on a beta blocker. I got a couple earlier today.

We still need to catch up for a beer.

Yep. Sounds like tachycardia. I got them before OHS, and still get them. With the heart pumping as many as 180 beats per minute (I have an app on my phone that measures heart rate), for me, it feels like someone would be able to SEE my heartbeat by looking at my neck.

It's somewhat disturbing - especially if it goes on for more than a few minutes. Sometimes standing up, resting my hands on my knees, taking a breath, and pushing as if I'm going to the bathroom helps (I think they call it the vasovagal maneuver). Usually, it just resolves on its own.

My cardiologist told me that if it happens often, I may want to increase my bisoprolol dosing.

Reactions: Eva
I had atrial flutter SVT last March. I’ve been put on Metoprolol since then. I had these flutters again twice since then...Very annoying! I contacted my Electrophysiologist by phone with my symptoms and he adjusted my Metoprolol dosage twice so far. If you are on beta blocker, your dose may need an adjustment. If not, maybe you need to be put on it because of your history. You don’t need another episode of SVT. Just my thoughts!
Keep us posted.

Yep I get the occasion palpitation/flutter. It usually get back to normal within a few seconds if I just take a few slow, deep breaths.

PVCs are so annoying. I used to get them all the time prior to valve surgery, but afterwards not so much. Now even after the ICD implant two weeks ago, I still occasionally feel them. I'm on beta blockers now and I think it's helped reduce the incidence.

A year or two ago, I complained (again) to my cardiologist about tachycardia. (Years ago, a doctor who didn't do any testing, called them PAT (paroxysman atrial tachycardia) which my cardio didn't believe. I had a 48 hour holter monitor - in addition to SVTs that lasted for a few minutes, the monitor detected SVTs that only lasted a few beats, through the day - and even at night. I guess it's when there's a cluster of them, lasting a few minutes or longer, that we really notice them.

I used to get them all the time. They gave me a holster monitor to wear for 3 weeks to confirm they were PVCs and not anything else. Since my OHS in April I have had a few instances when laying down sleeping or working out, it was weird because the value click I hear faintly missed some beats. I have had them far less since OHS, but I believe that is because I am on a beta blocker now vs. an ARB. If you are not sure if they are PVCs then let your cardiologist check you out. Unfortunately PVCs are somewhat normal and just weird and scary at times. If they become excessive then there are cardiologists that specialize in the electrical nature of the heart and can look at you and make more thorough diagnosis.

I used to get them all the time. They gave me a holster monitor to wear for 3 weeks to confirm they were PVCs and not anything else. Since my OHS in April I have had a few instances when laying down sleeping or working out, it was weird because the value click I hear faintly missed some beats. I have had them far less since OHS, but I believe that is because I am on a beta blocker now vs. an ARB. If you are not sure if they are PVCs then let your cardiologist check you out. Unfortunately PVCs are somewhat normal and just weird and scary at times. If they become excessive then there are cardiologists that specialize in the electrical nature of the heart and can look at you and make more thorough diagnosis.
It took me about six months before I stopped hearing my St. Jude's leaflet valve clicker. It was there every night. But after six months, it was better. I could fall to sleep faster. I get irregular palpitations due to my age, after 40, and being a woman. We go through early stage of menopause on our 40's and it can cause a little palpitations. It happens to all of us as we age, or cause of the family gene pool.
Hugs for today.

Latest posts

Back