Pacemakers and Defibrillators.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldManEmu

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
This is a question for people with either of these, I do not have one.
I ask this question as I have a car with a keyless operation system and the owner’s manual has a specific warning regarding these. That is as follows.
People with implantable cardiac pacemakers of defibrillators should not go near the interior or exterior transmitters.
The radio waves used by the keyless system could adversely affect implantable pacemakers and defibrillators.
There is second warning to check with the manufacturer of any other electro medical devices for adverse effects of radio waves.
Have you been warned about inference to your pacemaker or defibrillator from such everyday sources?

We have warnings in our building for people with pacemakers to stay away from some equipment that put out a strong magnetic field. I don't know anything about auto car openers, but Boston Scientific says they've tested their pacemakers and there is no problem: https://www.bostonscientific.com/co...nglish-a4/EN_ACL_Smart_Key_Systems_101408.pdf

Based upon that, I'd check with the manufacturer of your pacemaker for the definitive word.

tom in MO;n886621 said:
We have warnings in our building for people with pacemakers to stay away from some equipment that put out a strong magnetic field. I don't know anything about auto car openers, but Boston Scientific says they've tested their pacemakers

Agreed.

my own take on this is that its the lawyers gone spastic and given the reigns to control society with increased litigation driving fear into the hearts of everyone. Given that your phone is a far more powerful transmitter it would make little sense that the puny milliwatt output from a key fob would "wreak havoc" with your pacemaker but your phone in your top pocket pinging its tower frequently to keep its connection alive (or worse, spooling data for your spotify) that puts out maybe 10 or 100 times more power (to cover greater ranges than just to beside where you stand) would have none.

its like the warnings at Service Stations when you're getting Petrol from the pump (you know, the liquid called Gas in the USA) that mobile phones be turned off as a precaution against a fire ... when all testing ever done has failed to demonstrate any causal link and (to my knowledge) there has never been a petrol station fire caused by someone talking on the phone. (IE https://blogs.unimelb.edu.au/scienc...n-your-mobile-phone-blow-up-a-petrol-station/ )

Legal Threats which are designed to engender fear in the ignorant.

(*it goes without saying (but I've said it) that the above is my opinion (well, except for any facts incidentally mentioned))

They are all just covering their collective a$$es. I regularly operate an amateur radio transmitter that is probably hundreds of times more powerful than any auto electronics, and it has never affected my pacemaker. I also regularly use microwave ovens, and have even been herded through the airport metal detectors on occasion, with NO effects noted.

I've had my pacemaker(s) for 8 years now. When I got the first one, I called the manufacturer (Boston Scientific) and asked to speak with a customer engineer about the potential impacts of RF (radio frequencies) on my specific device. They transferred me to a very competent and cooperative engineer. He interviewed me about all the specifics of my equipment, and then looked up the details of my device. His conclusion was that I was far below the threshold at which any impact would be noted, and not to worry about it. I haven't worried a bit. . .

Latest posts

Back