Pacemaker with home transmitter

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twobike

Does anyone have a Merlin@home transmitter that monitors their pacemaker? Or something similar?

Sorry, no. My Pacemaker (a Medtronic) remembers results for over a year, apparently, and when I go for an annual checkup, as I did in October, they ask me questions like "did you feel odd on 26 September?" (To which the answer was no and as it seemed to be a one-off they weren't concerned).

Mine is not a Merlin, but my newest Boston Scientific pacemaker has a device like that. Mine connects to my pacemaker via Bluetooth technology, like connecting your cell phone to an earpiece or car system. It reads data from the pacemaker and sends an alert to the clinic if it notes anything outside the preset parameters. It also has a monthly schedule by which it performs a complete interrogation of the device and sends the report back to the clinic. With this system, instead of having to go to the clinic for interrogations twice per year, I only go once.

The device I have doesn't even require a phone line connection. It has an adaptor that links to one of the cellular phone systems directly.

I've had the system (and the new pacemaker) since early July, and the only times it has scared me were the two times when Boston Scientific updated the software of my communications system. When that happens, usually around 3:30 AM, the console flashes all of its colored lights so brightly that it awakens me from a sound sleep. The first time that happened, I thought my pacemaker had gone wonky! I called Boston Scientific tech support (and they are really great) and they explained what was happening. Then next time, I just went back to sleep.

Twobike -- it's 3 1/2 years since you asked but, yes, I now have a Merlin@home. I got it in a box that had the seal broken - I assume that this was so that it could be paired to my pacemaker. It was missing all the documentation and a case (if it comes with a case), and I might be getting these when I see my electrophysiologist. I may not need them. They send me a PDF of each guide, there's a pretty complete instruction video online - but not one that deals very well with setup.

But, in answer to your question, yes, I have one.

BTW - what's been your experience with your Merlin@home?

Latest posts

Back