Pacemaker info needed

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Mb

Hello everyone!

I feel like we have a continuing saga at our house!

We need some input regarding pacemakers. My husband is in chronic afib, and has dual valves, CHF, etc. He is on coumaden, digoxin, prilosec, iron, and a atenenol. He tires very very easily.Truly doesn't take much. He went to cardiac rehab, and his heart rate went so high, that they kept having to reduce what he could do. He wore a Holter monitor about three weeks ago, and the report ame back that his heart rate went to 200 a couple of times whilke excercising. (walking for ten minutes at 2.6 MPH)
So the Dr. is going to do a stress-echo on 3/10, and mentioned a pacemaker. He said if the meds cannot control the heart rate, that this could be the next step.

Any input would be appreciated. My husband is REALLY against a pacemaker.

Marybeth

Hi Marybeth,

There is a support site that I frequent that is for folks with pacemakers. It is a WebMD message board site. There are several folks on the board that are very knowledgable and helpful.

Please go to the following site and post your questions for additional information.

http://boards.webmd.com/roundtable_topic/148

Hope this helps,

Rob

Hi Marybeth,

I got my first pacemaker in 1995 (or was it 1996?). Anyway, I was dead set against it at first. I was definately not, under no circumstances whatsoever, getting a pacemaker. If other people felt secure enough putting their lives in the hands of a little piece of technology -- barely the size of a Ritz salted cracker -- then they were more than welcome to it. But I did not want one. So I hobbled along without one for far too long until I really placed myself in danger. When I finally got the pacemaker it did such a difference immediately. Improved my quality of life and made the weird arrhythmia less frightening.

I frequent the board Rob mentioned and you might also want to research pacemakers. I have a medtronic now. Check out their site http://www.medtronic.com. It's really informative. And if you need additional information you can call their toll-free number! Their reps are very kind and helpful -- no strangers to questions of any kind!

Good luck, all my best,

/Jessica :D

Hi Marybeth

this is just my 2 cents, but, Be very very sure that the cardio really wants and needs to do a stress echo. Sounds to me as if your hubby has some potentially serious problems and that the cardio already knows what's going on. A stress echo is difficult under the best circumstances. I have had 2 and they scared the hell out of me. You have to run on that treadmill untill you feel like you will pass out! I had my last one at age 32, (two years ago) and felt pretty puny. I cannot imagine attempting it with CHF!!

Stress tests often go badly. I don't want to scare you but, I bet we have all been in the cardiologist's office when someone has "coded" on the stress test treadmill. Too scary for me.

I would get a second opinion on the need for a stress echo.

-Mara

Latest posts

Back