Out of the Hospital

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Al,

The cost here was about 32,000 USD all in. If you are seriously considering Thailand or India PLEASE drop me a note to discuss. I have lived in and had medical services in both locations and have some opinions and experiences to share.

ALCapshaw2 said:
Small World. I know another American living in Singapore.

Have you found out how much your VR Surgery will Cost?

We've seen some Very Low numbers from India and Thailand.

'AL Capshaw'

p.s. in our Local Cath Lab, they give the patients WARMED BLANKETS once you are draped :) HEAVEN !

dan777 said:
Just released today after one week. Started out with an angiogram on Wednesday (which showed my arteries to be clear, thankfully) followed by aortic valve replacement (porcine) on Thursday.

HUH?

I'm confused. In your previous thread "Made the Decision" you stated you wanted a Bovine Valve but here you stated you received a Porcine Valve.

Why the Change?

And what type of Porcine Valve did you get?
(Manufacturer, stentless or with a stent,
or straight from the pig with no modifications/improvements, etc. ?)

Just curious, that's all.

'AL Capshaw'

Valve Type

Valve Type

Thanks for pointing out a problem. I have corrected the "decision" post to indicate I had selected a tissue value but left the decision of which was best up to the surgeon. After the angio, he told me he always went with porcine valves in that case and that's what I wonder up with. I will ask today about the manufacturer since I myself did not get into that discussions with him. Sorry for the confusion.

ALCapshaw2 said:
HUH?

I'm confused. In your previous thread "Made the Decision" you stated you wanted a Bovine Valve but here you stated you received a Procine Valve.

Why the Change?

And what type of Procine Valve did you get?
(Manufacturer, stentless or with a stent,
or straight from the pig with no modifications/improvements, etc. ?)

Just curious, that's all.

'AL Capshaw'

Weight Gain

Weight Gain

My weight seems to be coming down now with exercise, like several of you suggested. Thanks again for your information and support !

dan777 said:
Thanks for pointing out a problem. I have corrected the "decision" post to indicate I had selected a tissue value but left the decision of which was best up to the surgeon. After the angio, he told me he always went with porcine valves in that case and that's what I wonder up with. I will ask today about the manufacturer since I myself did not get into that discussions with him. Sorry for the confusion.

The valve was a porcine tissue valve by Edwards Lifesciences, model 2625.

First Check Up After Getting Out

First Check Up After Getting Out

Had mine yesterday and all went well, including removal of all stitches. Surgeon told me my operation was uneventful and showed me before / after pics of my valve.

ANYONE who has aortic stenosis and puts it off for no good reason (like me) should ask their surgeon to see similar pics. The "rocks" they removed as part of the old valve spanned a two inch area on the photo.

Anyway, my INR is 2.7 now and am still on 12mg warfarin. I go back in 4 days for my next INR test. Water weight is going away and I am to comfortable walk around outside 3x day. Glad I am in Singapore and not the midwestern US (brrrrrr). Can't imagine how cold like that would hurt.... I guess I can since broke my ribs and had a stress-line fracture on my sternum from a motorcycle accident in my 20's.

Thanks again to everyone for the encouragement and care. Looking forward to (1) glass of red wine next week !

Glad you're doing so well, Dan. The post where you "documented" your experience was very interesting and will no doubt be helpful to others.

I'm like you in that I had a tissue valve that I was interested in but I left the ultimate decision up to my excellent surgeon and I went with one he preferred.

Hope your recovery continues to go well. Take care and keep posting.

Updates

Updates

Susan BAV said:
Glad you're doing so well, Dan. The post where you "documented" your experience was very interesting and will no doubt be helpful to others.

I'm like you in that I had a tissue valve that I was interested in but I left the ultimate decision up to my excellent surgeon and I went with one he preferred.

Hope your recovery continues to go well. Take care and keep posting.

Thanks, this site has provided me with a wealth of information, ideas and inspiration. so I am trying to give back as much as I can.

Dan,

Glad you are doing well. CONGRATULATIONS!

Thoughts/prayers coming your way for a continued SUCCESSFUL recovery :).

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker
CDshowcase=www.WRMN1410.com*SATURDAY.january26*2p-5p.and.8p-11p.CENTRAL
"Get the word out" ... Collective Soul ... 'Feeling Better Now'

High INR (5.7)

High INR (5.7)

On my latest follow up visit the INR results were a little scary. I will go off warfarin (and 100mg aspirin) for two days then resume both but with a reduced warfarin dosage of 8mg (down from 12mg) on day 3, followed by another INR test on day 4.

Everything else is going good, still have numbness in my leg but will continue to take doctors advice and ignore it as long as it does not get worse or effect my walking.

Warfarin and Simvastatin

Warfarin and Simvastatin

dan777 said:
On my latest follow up visit the INR results were a little scary. I will go off warfarin (and 100mg aspirin) for two days then resume both but with a reduced warfarin dosage of 8mg (down from 12mg) on day 3, followed by another INR test on day 4.

Everything else is going good, still have numbness in my leg but will continue to take doctors advice and ignore it as long as it does not get worse or effect my walking.

After posting this, I started doing research on Warfarin interactions, focusing on my diet since the last INR test. Then it hit me. The one major change I made, with my doctor's consent, was to resume my daily dose of simvastatin (Zocor) which I had previously been taking for 10 years. I found some pretty scary articles on the interaction of the two drugs and will be discontinuing the simvastatin tonight as well until I can speak with my doctor in the morning.

Just released today after one week. Started out with an angiogram on Wednesday (which showed my arteries to be clear, thankfully) followed by aortic valve replacement (porcine) on Thursday.

I will take time to note my experiences in more detail after getting some rest.

Everything went well but I do have two hopefully small issues they are looking into. One is I have some numbness on my right leg (outside portion from the knee up to just below the hip area. My cardio and surgeon feel this is simply related to being in bed for a few days. The other concern is I weigh the same or slightly more, when I came out as I did when I went in, and the food was not THAT good. Strangely with all the tests they gave me, no one weighed me again after I checked in.

I am now on Warfarin for 3 months, and go back to the Doctor to check my INR (which was 2.2) on Friday. Initial dosage was 5mg, which was moved up to 12mg on the date I left the hospital.

Thanks to all of you again for your good wishes and support.
How are things now ?

I will take time to note my experiences in more detail after getting some rest.

Everything went well but I do have two hopefully small issues they are looking into. One is I have some numbness on my right leg (outside portion from the knee up to just below the hip area. My cardio and surgeon feel this is simply related to being in bed for a few days. The other concern is I weigh the same or slightly more, when I came out as I did when I went in, and the food was not THAT good. Strangely with all the tests they gave me, no one weighed me again after I checked in.

I am now on Warfarin for 3 months, and go back to the Doctor to check my INR (which was 2.2) on Friday. Initial dosage was 5mg, which was moved up to 12mg on the date I left the hospital.

Thanks to all of you again for your good wishes and support.
Bro did you do the surgery in Thailand ?

Just an FYI- you might not get a reply to your questions because this thread is over 13 years old.
I know some of these people personally from other boards. I am aware of the posting dates..I did specific searches for words like "Thailand"..I've already got some responses..Do I appear blind ???) Hello

How do I ignore someone? I can’t figure it out.

Latest posts

Back