Oura Ring

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Protimenow

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I'm not sure where this threads should go, so I'm putting it here,

A lot has been written about self monitoring. mostly with watches, but there is a new game in town -- the Oura ring. It packs a lot of sensors into the inside of a ring and seems very interesting.

It's expensive --- $300 -- but is supposed to be more accurate than other monitoring tools.

Have any of you used one?

Are any of you interested in a review?

Not the same thing. The Oura has sensors that have been validated through legitimate research. No dosing is involved.

This isn't tremendously different from watches that do similar things but is supposedly more accurate because the sensors are closer to the skin.

I don't work for Oura and have no financial interest in the company.

The Oura website describes the sensors as 'research grade.'

It monitors a range of things -- heart rate, sleep. oxygen levels. temperature. and can apparently do these more accurately than smart watches can.

The rings were given to players in the NFL (if I recall correctly) to monitor their vitals (this may be somehow related to a player last year whose heart stopped after being tackled).

There are a few reasons why I would like to have this watch: it can recognize exercise and other activities that my watch doesn't catch. it can detect naps (my watch doesn't). the software seems to be more robust.

I have no idea if. or when I will be able to justify spending this much on this device -- food. utilities. insurance. mortgage. and an array of other things put this ring farther back on my list of priorities. but if I get a review unit (I've written hundreds of reviews for magazines over the last 30 years) or a significant discount from the company. I may be able to fairly review it,

Back