Our book is published

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SumoRunner

I haven't seen where anyone else has posted this yet, so here's a link to "Cardiac Athletes", a book that has been almost 4 years in the making. It has 17 chapters each of which was written by one of us about his/her own personal experience with heart surgery and return to fitness thereafter. There are people with pacemakers, valves, bypass grafts, aneurisms, atrial fibrillation, you name it. They include runners, cyclists, triathletes, lifters and more. There's also a lot of technical and medical background information, glossary and bibliography.

You may have doubts, concerns, questions, now you have this book to answer them and maybe set your mind at ease. Yes, you can. We did, and we wrote about it for you. None of us are making a dime off the book and all proceeds from sales go to a trust fund to buy AED defibs for sports centers.

Me? Chapter 12. AVR 23 years ago. Read all about it.

https://www.createspace.com/4384613?ref=1147694&utm_id=6026

Hi Jack,

Looks very interesting and I see from looking inside an extract of the book on Amazon there is also a website of cardiac athletes. I'm just wondering, is this about people who have had cardiac "disease" or who were born with cardiac "defects" or both ?

Looks very interesting and I see from looking inside an extract of the book on Amazon there is also a website of cardiac athletes. I'm just wondering, is this about people who have had cardiac "disease" or who were born with cardiac "defects" or both ?

Both, of course. There are people with everything heart related you can imagine. People who dropped dead during a race and were resuscitated, people who had congenital or life-long issues. There have been former Olympians and professional athletes and others who never did a lick of exercise until post-cardiac.

The discussion forum has been out of commission for a while, but there's another one with many of the same people.
http://heartorg.forumotion.com/

Thank You for the info. Sumorunner. I went ahead and ordered it on Amazon. Create Space seems to be a subsidiary of Amazon in the UK and it may be expensive to ship from there. Look forward to reading about everyone's experiences, especially yours!!!
A follow up question: Watching Soccer on TV and wondering if I should try my hand er...foot at it. Do you think a healed sternum post-AVR will cause any problems playing soccer ?

Thank You for the info. Sumorunner. I went ahead and ordered it on Amazon. Create Space seems to be a subsidiary of Amazon in the UK and it may be expensive to ship from there.

A follow up question: Watching Soccer on TV and wondering if I should try my hand er...foot at it. Do you think a healed sternum post-AVR will cause any problems playing soccer ?

Oh right, the author was in the UK when we started writing. He's now in OZ. I ordered it from Amazon myself, not Creatspace.

As for soccer, I can't see why it would be any more problematic than track running as I do. But be careful of collisions. If anyone comes with a few feet of you, fall to the ground and writhe in pain, holding your shin until the other guy gets a yellow card. Then jump up and get right back in the game.

Just saw this thread --- congratulations, Jack! What a great idea for a book -- look forward to reading it. I know what's involved in putting together a book -- quite an accomplishment by you and your colleagues. Keep on inspiring us.

Latest posts

Back