other surgical procedures

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brindle1

I am new to site but have observed for over three years. I had my mitral valve replaced over two years ago with a mechanical valve and my tricusbid valve repaired.I also have a fib.
My recovery from ohs went pretty well . My problem now is I need a hip replacement and am scared to death. I have come off warfarin for a tooth extraction and kidney stones and had to
bridge with lovenox. I am wondering if anyone on this site had a total hip replacement and if they were uncovered by anticoagulation and how long. My primary Dr. said I was a worry wart.
Maybe so but strokes are forever...
Any info will be appreciated.

Hi

I understand your concerns, in particular the A-Fib is perhaps more of an issue for thrombosis than the valves are. However I feel that like crossing the road in a quiet town you won't get crossing just because you walked without looking .. because there are less cars than in the big city.

Equally I think that the few days either side of your surgery without AC therapy and you'll be safe. Even IF you did have a clot you're in the perfect place for that to be dealt with today.

Bridging basically exchanges one type of AC therapy (warfarin) for another (heparin). The effects of warfarin can take a few days to leave you and equally a few days to establish.

You need clotting just after the surgery, but by about day 2 everything will be "joined up" by tissue growth (however it will be easy to damage so don't push it) and so AC therapy can be resumed. Heparin (you mentioned a brand of it called lovenox) is quick acting and will establish AC quickly and then they can ramp in your wafrarin dose and have you back and AC'd again in a few days (and not need the jab).

So basically I think its all going to go smoothly

Best Wishes

Back