OTC Cold Medicine

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich

I know this has been discussed many times over the years, but I havn't had a cold for a very long time. It's some kind of bug going around here. Family has it, nieghbor's have it, seems like it is everywhere. It's a simple head cold so far, no bronchitus or anything like that.
I'm using the liquid form of Tylenol Cold med. a few times a day and again at night. Using the daytime version and the nightime version as well for sleeping.
I can't remember but wasn't there an interaction between Acetaminophen and Coumadin?

Rich

this may or may not be valuable to you Rich, but I use Epocrates to check for drug info/interactions/safety precautions. I actually have it installed on my iphone, but you can go to http://www.epocrates.com/ and do a search for pretty much any drug under the sun and it'll show all sorts of good info on it, including the pictures of pills at different dosages, etc. It's the information a doctor would want to know.

As far as the warfarin interaction, I don't know. I just wanted to put the epocrates thing ou there for everyone.

Rich, there may be other ingredients in Tylenol Cold medicine that will interfere with coumadin but Acetaminophen will not. I was instructed years ago to use Acetaminophen in place of Asparin for aches and pains. I take two 500 mg Acet....every nite for spinal disc discomfort. Have periodically taken as much as 3000mg per day for short periods. Docs do tell me to take OTC cold and cough medicines sparingly, so there must be something in them that should be avoided.

Thanks everyone,
I just couldn't remember if it was OK or not. Guess I'm getting pretty old.:eek:
I do use the stuff very sparingly, mainly so I can get a decent nights sleep.
Aaron thanks for that site, it's pretty neat.

Rich

I didn't read about why you take medicine.
I was told and several others I know including my son not to take any medications with the D in them. That is the decongestant stimulant and it may cause rapid heartbeat. But I don't know about the coumadin reaction as I couldn't take them anyway.

Tylenol is okay with all coumadin.

whenever the generic name contains a fed, phed, fe, fen, phen, etc... i've learned by experience to stay away or I'll have crazy palpitations until it wears off. With the exception of a couple, like acetaminophen.

Back