One Year Checkup

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkU

I haven't been around this forum for a while, but I thought I'd drop by and share the results of my one year follow-up with my cardiologist. I'm 48 years old and had a bicuspid aortic valve replaced with a 27mm St. Jude valve on 12-15-00. I returned to pretty normal activity (including working out at the gym) within 2-3 months after surgery. I take 5.0mg of Coumadin daily.
My one year checkup included an echocardiagram and EKG prior to meeting with my cardiologist.
The good news is that my valve is working fine and the chamber pressures in my heart are back to normal range. The lingering concern is that prior to my surgery I had developed slight left ventricular hypertrophy (LVH), the enlargement of the heart muscle compensating for my bad valve. This has not improved since my surgery. My cardiologist says that sometimes the muscle will return to normal, but sometimes not. He was concerned about my weightllifting at the gym and asked me not to do any powerlifting, although I can continue lifting moderate weights at high-reps. Since my surgery I have also significantly increased my anaerobic cardiovascular workouts (mostly stationary bike) to 20 minutes, four times per week. We also set a goal of 10% reduction in body weight in the next six to twelve months.
I have my next checkup scheduled in 12 months. Because of the variability inherent with the echocardiagram (+/- 10%), he decided not to do another one for 24 months.
Overall I feel good, but the news about the LVH is a bit of a bummer.
Mark

:cool:

Well, hey there, Mark. Long time no see. Nice to have you drop in and update us. Sounds like you are really doing well. Congratulations (it was Shands, right?)

Sarasota's a beautiful town. My son lives there. We lived in cowboy town (Arcadia) 20 yrs. Lovely area of Florida and I miss it.

hi mark!
sorry to hear you going through all this... i know that robthatsme does a lot of weight lifting and fitness training and he, too, has a mech. valve. you may want to check back in some of the old threads he's written over the last 4 months or so.
hope all turns out alright.
please keep us posted!
be well,
sylvia

Mark U

Mark U

Had an EcG about (1) month post op--it showed some abnormalities (T waves) enlarged left atrial-my doc said early ECG often show abnormalities-the heart has been under a lot of stress and is trying to compensate-anybody else have any comments?

My EKG shows similar T-wave abnormalities. Because I occasionally travel on business, my cardiologist made me a laminated copy of my EKG printout to carry with me with his notations added indicating that it was my "normal" EKG. Just in case I was in an accident and some EMT freaked out not knowing my history - good idea I think.

Mark

Hi Mark,

It sounds like you have a pretty good report card for your 1 yr post operation check-up! Congradulations.

I am also lifting much lighter weights these days, but, I am staying farily well toned. I do the high rep sets, with a minimal rest peroid between sets.

Hope the one issue you did mention is not serious, and remains stable.

Wishing you continued good health,

Rob

Hi Mark - Good to hear from you. I had my surgery in the same timeframe (Jan 01) and am also age 48. Sounds like you are doing good. Congrats on the pretty checkup and smart cardio.

Back