One Week Post Op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bev

Just wanted to let you know that I had my AVR on Tues. July 19th. I got home Sunday afternoon, and I'm doing OK, but feel so weak at times. I appreciate all the advice I've read on the forums. It has prepared me for a lot of what I'm going through, like being super sensitive to smells and things not tasting right. I'm not used to taking much medication, prior to the surgery I only took a baby aspirin and some vitamins. Now I'm taking an assortment of pills and it's leaving me with kind of a yucky tummy. My blood pressure has always been on the low side, and I feel like it drops at times now and leaves me feeling dizzy and very weak.
I'm amazed at the progress some folks have quickly made post op. I'm really taking baby steps at this point. Just hoping to get a little stronger each day.

Congrats... the hard part is over. Keep taking those baby steps and before you know it you will have a spring in your step!

Bev,
I am 3 weeks post op today and I went through much of the same feelings during my first week back home. Hang in there. A good side effect was that I lost 10 #s. I turn 51 today and this is the best birthday gift one can ask for despite all the anxiety and hassles.
Good Luck on your recovery.

After one week, I felt exactly the way you do. After 3 weeks, I was dancing around the kitchen singing "I feel good, just like I knew that I would" (actually I didn't know I would). Hang in there.

Hi Bev
I know exactly how you feel. I had blood pressure issues after my surgery too. Its not a nice feeling and I became quite anxious about it which I think only made it worse :)
I guess I was expecting to be not feeling too bad and had no idea how weak the surgery would make me feel. Not to worry, baby steps indeed and don't rush your recovery. Everyone heals differently so take you time, go easy on yourself and you will notice week by week the improvements. Take care

Bev
Im 4 weeks post op i still have a "yucky tummy" my taste buds are not all back and im so tired. Don't push yourself to much take baby steps. I felt much worse 1 week post op than i do now things will get better. It takes time and patience. Take Care
RZG Rachel

Hi, Bev!

When I was a week post-op, I was still in the hospital. Ran into some complications that took most of a month to sort out. Once that was out of the way, I quickly made up the lost ground and now at 4.5 months post-op I'm doing really well. My point is that we all heal at different rates. We may follow generally the same recovery paths, but for each of us the checkpoints may be a bit different.

Small steps of progress are good. Just keep on taking them and soon you will look back and be amazed at the progress you've made. I know I was.

Hi Bev,

Wishing you a speedy recovery. It sure sounds like you are on the right track. I found that I would hit spots that I would really feel better, and then plateau for a week or so, and then, off to the recovery race track again.

I was out of the hosptial in 6 days after my 1st srugery, but this last one had me in the hospital for 30 days....
So hat's off to you!!! Keep up the good job of recovering!

Rob

Awwww, you guys are the best! You don't know how good it felt to read your comments. The voices of experience, I love it.

Today I walked more, but the least bit of humidity or air pollution puts me off. Too hard to breathe.
I have about 11 steps to climb from my basement to the main level, and they are kind of taking a toll on me. The physical therapist said that stairs are not an issue (maybe not for her.) Anybody else find that they felt weak and dizzy after climbing stairs?

Hank in there, your going to feel much better. For me it was at six weeks . I stopted the meds for a-fib, they stayed in my systen for a vew more days and then everything was much -much better, from what Ive read here , six weeks is a big turning point.

Bev - My house is on three floors, with normal stairs between (not "short" flights). When I first came home from the hospital I had to group my tasks upstairs to minimize the trips made, and I had to stay upstairs long enough to catch my breath to go back down. It wasn't long, though, before I could do the stairs pretty well and stopped worrying about how many times I climbed them. In fact, I think that moderate stair climbing helped my recovery. Just listen to your body and don't over-do it.

Stairs are definately an issue. Try to stay on one level as much as possible, and as many Naps as you need (At a week out I was sleeping 5 - 6 hrs during the day). As my wife reassured me - before surgery I was getting worse every day, after surgery it gets better each day.

Back