One week anniversary

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARGreenMN

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Today was the one-week mark for me since surgery. Have had a couple slight "relapses" the last couple days (probably just from trying to do too much, and not liking the metal taste one of the meds is giving me), but overall still doing amazingly good, considering I was on the table just a week ago. Thought I'd attach a pic of my scar (hope noone gets offended or grossed out). The pic is from today (exactly a week after surgery). I found it helpful/comforting as I was in the waiting stages to get an understanding of what to expect as far as the scar from others, so thought I'd share too.

As far as an update, again, I'm just amazed how smooth it's been. I may not be the norm, so certainly don't want anyone to get disappointed if they don't do quite as well. But I remember being comforted to hear all the success stories in here, so I think it's worth sharing. Hoping it will give hope to those in waiting that at least the best-case scenario is pretty darn good. And from what I hear, most are more towards the best case scenario end.

Anyway, here's my story. My hospital had wireless, so as soon as I felt up to it (about 20 hrs after surgery) I was on the laptop communicating with the outside world. I didn't expect to be on the laptop until about day 4 or 5 - so that part was way ahead of schedule compared to what I expected. I already posted the details of the first 36 hrs, including the worst part for me (breathing tube). But as soon as that tube was out (and really, even before) I was just amazed how little pain there really was involved (considering the magnitude of the procedure) and how good I felt overall.

The worst part for me the last few days in the hospital was all the needle-related stuff (I hate needles). The heperin shots every 8 hrs or so weren't fun. And I wasn't a big fan of the daily blood draws or the meds they'd put in the IVs daily. But most will be fine with all that stuff - I'm just a baby with needles. And really, it wasn't THAT bad I guess - it was more mental than anything. The breathing early on was tougher than I expected. They'd have me use an incentive spirometer (something you breath into - actually, you suck your breath in as deep as you can - to test your lung capacity) several times a day, and for the first couple days, I couldn't get it above 1000, so was getting discouraged, and started getting concerned I was getting fluid in my lungs. But by day 3 it started going up, and it still is (now up to 3000) and my lungs feel really good now.

The walking was pretty easy from the beginning (except while I had the bladder catheter in - my second-least-favorite part of the whole deal). The rehab folks had me on stairs, a treadmill and a bike all in the first few days. I'd get very winded the first few walks (had to stop halfway down the hall) but pretty soon, I was making laps around the floor pretty easily (going slow of course). The chest pain hasn't been bad at all from the beginning (I suppose the pain-killers have a lot to do with that, although I'm almost totally off them now and still not much pain).

So overall, unless you're afraid of needles like I am, there's really just not much to be afraid of, except that damn breathing tube ;). Actually, that wasn't THAT bad either, just uncomfortable. But if you can relax and trust that you can get enough air through it, you'll be fine. I was afraid of when they pulled it out - thought it might hurt - but it didn't hurt much at all. Ok, that's about it, let me know if you have questions - be glad to share anything, while it's fresh in my mind.

Attachments

• Scar - 1 wk after&#32.jpg
    Scar - 1 wk after&#32.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 108
Yep, I'm home (been home since Monday). And yes the incision is a little slanted from top to bottom, but in a a straight line (not zig-zag). Would have been nice if it wasn't slanted, but I'm not super worried about that. I was more worried about it sticking out the top of a button-down shirt, but was pleasantly surprised that it starts low enough that shouldn't be a problem. Also pleasantly surprised that my surgeon only uses one chest tube instead of 3 that I've seen in most pics.

Shaved

Shaved

Yes, they shaved me from "chin to knees", but only on the front of my body, not the back. I don't normally have a ton of chest hair, but hopefully enough (when it grows back) to disquise the scar a little. Ross, lol, I have no idea what a tawdry (sp?) shirt is, but will have to go look it up now.

Thanks for the detailed report. I think it is helpful for those in the waiting room to hear that it isn't a rule that everyone feels bad when they wake up after surgery. Glad to hear that you are home, also; now the real healing can begin and you can actually go to bed with no one coming in to poke you during the night. I think the constant poking may be part of the plan to "encourage" patients to go home as soon as possible (that and the food). It certainly worked with me.

Larry

Yea, the constant poking, waking me up every other hour, the food, those were all clues, but when two different people came in on day 3 and said "so I understand you want to go home today?" even though I'd never told them that - that was when I started figuring it out - they wanted me to leave as soon as possible. Ended up staying 'till day 5 (told 'em noone would be home to watch me 'till then) cause I just felt a little better about being in the hospital, even though I was doing good. But yea, I agree with ya - they encourage you to get out asap.

Your scar looks amazingly good. I don't think mind looked that good for a month. Looks like you're very fit, and I'm sure that helps you to recover quickly. (And you're younger than me, too.) As for being on my laptop 20 hours after surgery, I don't think I was even managing to stay awake much at that point!

As for needles, I have a funny story (well, you can decide how funny it is). The woman who came to take blood at night laughed at me in the morning, because I never woke up when she pricked my finger. I wish I could sleep that soundly now!

Yea well...

Yea well...

... when I was getting hourly blood sugar tests the first couple days, I remember thinking - wow - these finger pokers have come a long way - I don't even feel them! It must have been because of the pain killers, cause once they wore off - I feel 'em again now! I bet you faked sleeping through the finger poke tho ;)

ARCreenMN,

Good on you sounds like you are making very fast progress and agree with other comment, that scar is looking awfully good for one week only.

Am envious, i want a big red pillow and a scar and abs that look like yours (grin)

it is encouraging for us pre ops that there is hope of smooth and rapid recovery such as your.

thanks fo the update

Gil

Latest posts

Back