On the other side: Post-op 6 days

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R1Phrankey

Here I am, back at the other side.
Had surgery last Tuesday and came back home from hospital yesterday.
Had some fever in hospital on Thursday and Friday, but all okay now.

I have had a mini AVR, a 3" cut in the sternum.
Heart lung machine was hooked up in the groin.
I have received an Italian valve, Sorin Bicarbon Slimline 25mm.
I can hear it thicking. :cool:

Feeling a little bit sore now, but I can handle it with some daily pain killers.

What I experience after surgery is a higher heart rate, 80bpm when in rest (60 before op). Maybe caused by all medications or my heart has to get used to the new set-up?

Do some daily walking now. I feel tired at the end of the day, but so far so good.
Main problem is finding a good position to sleep.

regards,

Frank

Welcome to the other side! It sure feels good to be home, eh?

The best advice I received post-op was from my physical therapist - he said stand up straight and tall as often as you can. Don't walk all hunched over like a heart patient! And give your neck muscles a break by resting your head on a regular basis.

So when my back would start to hurt, I'd simply stand up very straight for a few minutes, followed by some lie-down time with a small pillow or rolled-up towel under my neck so I could fully relax.

Keep breathing, keep walking, and congratulations!

(Each day gets exponentially better!)

Frank, glad to hear surgery went well and you are at home. My surgery was 14 days ago and finding a comfortable sleep position was what I wanted most. Ended up in a recliner, mostly upright and with my legs elevated. A few nights later I was able to recline a little, and then finally all the way. Then I could roll slightly to either side for more positions. Last night I slept a full 7 hours! Can't wait to get beck to the bed, but right now I love my recliner.

Hope you find something comfortable.

It is almost funny that it is less than 1 week after surgery and I am most concerned about a good night rest. :p
So, this is good news, that means that the surgery went smoothly.

My other concern is my heart rate, which is 80bpm in rest but up to almost 100 during the day. And I am also on metoprolol, which should reduce the heart rhythm. What I read about it, is that this is kind of normal and heart rate should reduce in next couple of months.

My wife asked the surgeon about the aortic valve. He told that the valve was tricuspid but that two cusps were adhesed (is that the right word?) and that the valve was calcified.

If you search forum you will find most had a higher heart rate after surgery and it does go back closer to what it was after a period of time. Maybe a month or two. I know mine was high and went down over time.

Frank,

It's good to hear that your surgery went well and you're into recovery. My HR was also a little high afterwards and I was reassured that it was not a problem.

Mike

Last edited:
Good to hear you're doing well! In which hospital were you operated? I will be operated within a couple of months (I hope!) in Utrecht.

Sleeping is no problem anymore. In my own environment I am able to sleep on my back (very unexpectedly) :)
But when I want to turn on my side, I can feel that my chest and shoulders still hurt.
After 10 days post-op I am very sattisfied. I am out of bed at 8:00 AM, untill 10:00 PM. I do not have to rest during the day. I do some walks during the day (minimal 30 minutes walk), watching some TV in the afternoon and my appetite is back to normal.
I will see my cardiologist on June 11 and hopefully he will let me ride my bike again shortly after that (4 weeks post-op).

Back