Ok what is this about?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esvaja

I have my 2nd AVR 4/20/21 at CC. My left 1/2 of my chest is numb, I can't take a deep breathe to the point I'm still short of breath & I have pain. I went to the ER last week here in AA MI in the middle of the night because of those things & I have an appt at CC this friday. I'm definitely in the minority for this valve.org. It's been very rough. Oh they did did 2 CABGs & messed with my mitral valve too. Need some reassurance. Thx

Hi Esvaja, my AVR was April 1st and I still have numbness to some degree on both sides of my chest. It is slowly improving. I also feel like there remains some resistance in my lungs. When I walk briskly I have to work at getting the last little bit to inflate (or so it feels). If I am paying attention, and make sure I get a full breath my heart rate comes down which tells me it isn’t in my head. Like you a took a trip to urgent care a couple of weeks ago, in part due to my lungs. The
x-ray showed they had improved since I left the hospital and were close to normal and my oxygen stats were fine. So maybe it is just a matter of time. I will be interested to hear what the CC has to say though. Good luck

Hi Esvaja,
Sorry that I can't speak to your other issues, but I have had some numbness since my March 22 AVR. For me the numbness has been in the skin on my neck, under my chin. It feels like I've had a shot of lidocaine at the dentist. Now that it has been 7 weeks since surgery the feeling has come back about 20%. I believe that with the surgery that often some nerves get compressed or severed and it takes time for them to reestablish themselves. For me, there does not appear to be any negative impact from the numbness, other than that shaving feels strange.
I really hope that your issues resolve soon. Hang in there.

Hi
Need some reassurance. Thx

well its a bit of a rough ride, but you did have a lot of stuff done. I expect that it will sort out in time when you move from seeing "Street View" to zoomed back out with this all in the rear vision mirror.

you could always read about my rough ride if that'd make you feel better ... personally I always felt better about being strapped by the Brothers when one of my class mates was there as a fellow culprit. "Misery Loves Company" as they say.

There are lots of nerves in that area which inevitably get cut and take time to work out. My foot for instance (my most recent surgery) felt very strange along the top of it for some months.

I recall others have had "clicking ribs" for some time too.

I hope it turns out to be just a nuisance.

Have you been doing your breathing exercises (i.e. using your spirometer) to help your lungs recover?
Man I hated that thing! But it most definitely makes all the difference. I still have mine five years later and can't bring myself to get rid of it. Its a trophy of sorts

Have you been doing your breathing exercises (i.e. using your spirometer) to help your lungs recover?
No, I have to admit I stopped after 10 days post surgery because it was not helping. I saw my Dr yesterday ( he's a psych) & I once again renewed an RX that was prescribed for me before the surgery to relax me ( I am prone to anxiety attacks) at that time it helped me to recognize if I was really being short of breath or working into an anxiety attack. So I'm taking a Klonopin & when I feel I'm being short of breath I take one & I get relief. So, even if this is in my head - & I don't believe so, I'm taking it because it helps & I can do more walking & I know that helps with my
Hi

well its a bit of a rough ride, but you did have a lot of stuff done. I expect that it will sort out in time when you move from seeing "Street View" to zoomed back out with this all in the rear vision mirror.

you could always read about my rough ride if that'd make you feel better ... personally I always felt better about being strapped by the Brothers when one of my class mates was there as a fellow culprit. "Misery Loves Company" as they say.

There are lots of nerves in that area which inevitably get cut and take time to work out. My foot for instance (my most recent surgery) felt very strange along the top of it for some months.

I recall others have had "clicking ribs" for some time too.

I hope it turns out to be just a nuisance.
Is that still in your history? I can't seem to find it.

No, I have to admit I stopped after 10 days post surgery because it was not helping.
How do you know it was not helping? The purpose of the spirometer is to keep your lungs active and help clear them of fluid/mucus so you don't get pneumonia. If you are having a panic attack, then it might be useful as it will help control your breathing by keeping it slow and steady.

I can't take a deep breathe to the point I'm still short of breath & I have pain. I went to the ER last week here in AA MI in the middle of the night because of those things & I have an appt at CC this friday.
Did they take a chest x-ray when you went to the ER? Any fluid inside/outside your lungs?

So I'm taking a Klonopin & when I feel I'm being short of breath I take one & I get relief.
So you are saying that when you take a "deep breathe to the point I'm still short of breath & I have pain", and you take Klonopin, you can then take a deep breath with no more pain?

Best thing you can do is exercise, e.g. walk as much as you can, even if small, frequent walks and use your spirometer. Also, keep a positive mind!

Last edited:
Is that still in your history? I can't seem to find it.
if you mean my difficult time, it was a long time ago and not everything is in ones history. If you wish to read about it its here. I don't recommend you read it but there it is.

I was grateful to many who posted (not least Roger)

I have my 2nd AVR 4/20/21 at CC. My left 1/2 of my chest is numb, I can't take a deep breathe to the point I'm still short of breath & I have pain. I went to the ER last week here in AA MI in the middle of the night because of those things & I have an appt at CC this friday. I'm definitely in the minority for this valve.org. It's been very rough. Oh they did did 2 CABGs & messed with my mitral valve too. Need some reassurance. Thx
Hi Esvaja,
Sorry to hear about how you are feeling. I had my surgery in March and am 7 weeks post now. I too still have numbness on one side of my chest, although it is slowly returning feeling, and the hypersensitivity is gradually decreasing. So it might be just a matter of time, and being patient...very very hard I know! I am concerned about the pain on breathing though...did you have pleural effusion while in hospital? I did have and needed extra drains put in, and I'm wondering if you are having an issue with that. Even though the drains stopped producing any fluid, I continued to have some effusion for many weeks and found that being as active as I can and using the spirometer definitely helped. I'd definitely encourage you to go back to using the spirometer, it might help if there is any residual effusion. But good that you are getting checked out. Let us know how you get on.

Hi Esvaja,
Sorry to hear about how you are feeling. I had my surgery in March and am 7 weeks post now. I too still have numbness on one side of my chest, although it is slowly returning feeling, and the hypersensitivity is gradually decreasing. So it might be just a matter of time, and being patient...very very hard I know! I am concerned about the pain on breathing though...did you have pleural effusion while in hospital? I did have and needed extra drains put in, and I'm wondering if you are having an issue with that. Even though the drains stopped producing any fluid, I continued to have some effusion for many weeks and found that being as active as I can and using the spirometer definitely helped. I'd definitely encourage you to go back to using the spirometer, it might help if there is any residual effusion. But good that you are getting checked out. Let us know how you get on.
I have an appt this Friday back in Cleveland. Plural effusion was a concern. When I was admitted last week through the ER last week the CAT scan & the ultrasound showed there was none to speak of. As of today there is not much difference but I can get about as long as I take the the meds. . I'm of the opinion that because it was more than a new valve & that I'm 10 yrs older & I was much more symptomatic this time is why it's harder.
How do you know it was not helping? The purpose of the spirometer is to keep your lungs active and help clear them of fluid/mucus so you don't get pneumonia. If you are having a panic attack, then it might be useful as it will help control your breathing by keeping it slow and steady.

Did they take a chest x-ray when you went to the ER? Any fluid inside/outside your lungs?

So you are saying that when you take a "deep breathe to the point I'm still short of breath & I have pain", and you take Klonopin, you can then take a deep breath with no more pain?

Best thing you can do is exercise, e.g. walk as much as you can, even if small, frequent walks and use your spirometer. Also, keep a positive mind!
I will ask about the spirometer ( it was NOT mentioned to me when I was discharged, nor did anyone monitor my usage of it. What they most encouraged was was walking, a lot, & very fast.

Well, I went to CC yesterday. Still don't like riding inna car for 2.5 hrs one way. But they put me me through some tests. They did not say my symptoms were normal, but that they would improve in 2-3 months. Like they say here I will have good days & bad days. Meanwhile I'm still having a little help from chemistry. I'm very glad that members here put a value on how fast or pain-free or muscling through with no help. Thanks y'all!

Well, I went to CC yesterday. Still don't like riding inna car for 2.5 hrs one way. But they put me me through some tests. They did not say my symptoms were normal, but that they would improve in 2-3 months. Like they say here I will have good days & bad days. Meanwhile I'm still having a little help from chemistry. I'm very glad that members here put a value on how fast or pain-free or muscling through with no help. Thanks y'all!
Hi esvaja,
Well, I guess it is good news in that everything is going along in the right direction, but I understand your frustration at how that can be up and down. DId they give you any things to do to help? It can be disheartening when you have a good day and then follow up with a crappy one! I find it hard to be patient with that, and just want to be 'right' and back to normal, NOW! But it can't be, and so I think we just have to take each day as it comes, each day find the things we can be grateful for, and keep the finish line in sight, however far away that might be, and however wonky the journey there might be. I think it takes enormous strength to be positive, but it is so important to do that, and to do what we need to, to get through it. There IS an end in sight, you WILL be well again, you WILL be strong again, and you WILL be able to live a normal life that is fulfilling, enjoyable and free from concerns about your heart. And know that you are not alone...there are many of us who have been through it and survived it, and many who are going through it will you at the same time, and we are here to support each other. Take care, and keep pushing one foot in front of the other every day.

Latest posts

Back