OHS with Obamacare and Medicare?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elgato

I am currently 59 and debating which valve type. We currently have United Health Care so insurance
coverage for the initial surgery seems fine.

However, I have heard a lot of debate that 76 is the Obamacare magic age when intervention procedures are denied.

With either valve type there is the probability that another valve replacement would be necessary in the future.

Any opinions how Obamacare/Medicare would cover OHS for someone in their 70's?

Hi

I don't know anything about obamacare (not being an American) but ...
I am currently 59 and debating which valve type.
With either valve type there is the probability that another valve replacement would be necessary in the future.

I assume you know that the probability spread is very significant. Its such a high probability that if you are still alive its nearly a certainty that after 20 years you'll need a tissue valve replaced but its quite a low probability that you'll need a mechanical valve replaced.

The other factors are of course highly personal.

However, I have heard a lot of debate that 76 is the Obamacare magic age when intervention procedures are denied.

Any opinions how Obamacare/Medicare would cover OHS for someone in their 70's?

Never heard that 76 is a magic age for denial of major surgery....and I certainly do not believe the accuracy of what "you have heard". I think such a statement is just fear promoting misinformation and I wouldn't put ANY stock in it......especially since many, many interventional surgeries are done on seniors now....and will be done in the future. This sounds like the story I've heard about giving old people a blanket, a jar of water and telling them to go sit on the hill until they die......that's BS too.

You may or may not need additional surgeries "down the road". I'm 78 and expect my valve to last my lifetime....and it has already worked a lot longer than twenty years. Do your homework, consider the options, make your decision regarding valve type......and don't try to read "tea leaves".

Never heard that 76 is a magic age for denial of major surgery....and I certainly do not believe the accuracy of what "you have heard". I think such a statement is just fear promoting misinformation and I wouldn't put ANY stock in it......especially since many, many interventional surgeries are done on seniors now....and will be done in the future. This sounds like the story I've heard about giving old people a blanket, a jar of water and telling them to go sit on the hill until they die......that's BS too.

You may or may not need additional surgeries "down the road". I'm 78 and expect my valve to last my lifetime....and it has already worked a lot longer than twenty years. Do your homework, consider the options, make your decision regarding valve type......and don't try to read "tea leaves".

I agree w/ what Dick is saying about older people needing heart surgery or any kind of medical problems or surgery w/ Obamacare. and people just making up things to scare people. THAT is one thing I would NOT worry about when making a valve choice.

I agree with Lyn and Dick.
I'd like a whole lot more substantiation there's a hint of such a policy.
Rumors run wild but the proof is absent.
Anyone remember the whole 'throw granny over the cliff' nonesense during the election?
If I had to guess, I'd say the same who promoted that likely are where some are
'hearing' surgeries will be denied to seniors. Does anyone really believe the population would
permit that to happen? I don't. The number of people living to be 90 and 100 these days belies
elders would be pushed out of health care at 76 years old. Many are still actively employed these
days.

This whole 'I heard' issue is the last thing I would consider when choosing which type valve I want
for my replacement.

False information from a malignant chain email

False information from a malignant chain email

It is completely untrue that the Affordable Care Act limits treatment based on age. This rumor comes from a malignant chain email. It even references several sections of the Act as though to prove its claims. If you actually read those sections, it is clear that whoever wrote the email assumed that we are too stupid to read it for ourselves. There are no limits on treatment of any kind based on any age in the ACA.

This type of false information is similar to the widely spread false rumor that the ACA includes "death panels". What the law does say is that when a doctor provides counseling about options after a patient learns that his life is limited the doctor can receive payment for the time spent.

The best discussion that I can refer you to if you would like a summary of the falsities in the chain email about age limits to care, is at:

http://www.politifact.com/oregon/statements/2013/jun/08/chain-email/will-seniors-be-denied-cancer-treatment-under-obam/

Larry

Last edited:
I've also not heard about any age limit and agree this is more than likely misinformation. In fact, I'm not sure about her insurance but I know a 91-year old woman who recently went through her first valve replacement and is doing wonderfully.

I was 42 when I had AVR and chose a mechanical because of increased longevity. I've been going strong for 15 years now with the only glitch being the development of an aneurysm. That's due to my BAV/connective tissue disease and not anything caused by the valve. Personally, I would suggest a mechanical even though they've made great strides with tissue valves. The coumadin therapy that comes along with a mechanical valve is no big deal so don't let that scare you.

Good luck!

Sounds like more of the "death panel" BS that people are spreading around.

Back