OHS information needed

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

temp69

Hi there:

I went through it, but can't watch it. Just need some basic information. How is the sternum cut open? What is the drug they give you to keep you out? What is the device that keeps the sternum open called?
And the device that pumps your blood for you while they're working on your heart?

thanks so much!

Temp69

The sternum is cut with a saw. The machine I believe is called a Heart-Lung machine or Bypass.

Not sure about the name of the thing that holds you open - I always call it a "spreader" but I am sure there is a more technical term.

I think the drug they use varies. There are a few to choose from.

The sternum is cut open with an air saw. They use multiple drugs to keep you out, you'd have to speak to the anestheologist about those. A rib spreader is the device used to keep the sternum open and folded back. The Heart lung bypass machine keeps you alive while they stop your heart.

temp69 said:
Hi there:

I went through it, but can't watch it. Just need some basic information. How is the sternum cut open? What is the drug they give you to keep you out? What is the device that keeps the sternum open called?
And the device that pumps your blood for you while they're working on your heart?

thanks so much!

Temp69

I think I know what you mean. Medtronics sent me some info I had requested about the valve post-op and I thought I was going to be sick looking at it.

Back