NYC Surgeons

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iang

Hello,

I am 36 and Was born with a bicuspid aortic valve. It has been followed my whole life but was not told I need surgery until just two months ago. I have very few symptoms.

I am now looking for surgeons in New York City and find it confusing. I have seen two who specialize in pediatric/adult congenital heart disorders--they are located in the children's hospital department and see many under 10 year olds. Since I am 36 would these be the right surgeons for me? Does it matter?

Also, the first surgeon I met said, very confidently, that my aorta would not need to be replaced yet the other one said if it was not replaced there is a high chance of reoperation in less than 10 years. He was referring to aortic dilation that measures about 4.5 cm. If this is true then the first surgeon left out an important detail-- one of my goals is to avoid Reoperation!

I was just reading that if the aorta measurement is greater than 5 then replacement is considered "reasonable" and more so at 5.5. But the second surgeon seemed to say my aorta is just going to get more and more dilated.

So:
1. Any advice at recommendation for surgeons in NYC? And good questions to ask.
2. What to do about different opinions on aortic dilation?

Thank you!

I went to Dr Elefteriades at Yale, which isn't that far from NYC. Amazing. I have also heard that once the aorta reaches above 4, it is likely to grow larger and faster.

Latest posts

Back