Numbness

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geofd

Hello everyone, i had mitral valve repair surgery in September, it was a great experience from the minute i was admitted til i was discharged, thanks
Mass general hospital in Boston ma. Recovery was easy,and I'm back to work. Here my question
The Dr. Made an incision under my right arm, he accessed my heart by operations between my ribs. Theres still numbness under my right arm,and on the right side of my chest, just wondering how long it take the nerves to recover
Thanks

Theres still numbness under my right arm,and on the right side of my chest, just wondering how long it take the nerves to recover
it depends. Depending on the nerve never.

I had a surgery on my foot and the nerves along the skin at the top of my foot on one side of the scar are not functional (surgery was 2020).

At first my foot felt strange (and the numbness was obvious as "absent feeling") but now I had to take off my shoe and test it to make sure it was still insensitive ... it is.

The side effects of surgery which a surgeon would dismiss as trivial (and may well be).

Best Wishes

I had a similar surgery 6.5 years ago. I came out of it with two numb patches which are still numb: one near the incision on the right side of my chest, and one on my upper left thigh near where the femoral cannula went in. It's not a problem, just another couple of souvenirs.

I had a numb patch on my chest from OHS. The surgeon's nurse told me not to worry, it usually comes back. I didn't and the feeling came back. It wasn't within a month but probably within 3 months.

Hello everyone, i had mitral valve repair surgery in September, it was a great experience from the minute i was admitted til i was discharged, thanks
Mass general hospital in Boston ma. Recovery was easy,and I'm back to work. Here my question
The Dr. Made an incision under my right arm, he accessed my heart by operations between my ribs. Theres still numbness under my right arm,and on the right side of my chest, just wondering how long it take the nerves to recover
Thanks

I think it depends on a lot of factors as to how much there numbness/weird feeling there is and how long if ever it goes away. Nerve damage is nerve damage. Gonna feel weird and impossible to predict IMO.

I have nerve damage in my chest plus my right leg from my operation (also had double bypass in addition to AVR); they removed part of a vein from my leg and I believe part of an artery from my chest for the bypasses. Both are similar feeling but not exactly the same - not numbess exactly, hard to describe.

I guess the leg part is more numb feeling than the chest part - the chest part bothers me more because anything that touches my chest including any shirt or for example pressure from a seatbelt in car especially feels very odd/tight on the skin. Taking a deep breath and expanding my chest it feels like someone is squeezing my skin on that side (again hard to explain).

I've gotten used to both as best I can, is minor in the scope of things, and since it has been about 8 years now I don't think mine are ever going to change/get back to normal. Yours though, who knows?

After OHS, I had no numbness on my chest or arms, but on my neck, under my chin. Shaving felt odd, as I had no sensation.
It took a few months to go away. I'd estimate the numbness was gone by 3 or 4 months after surgery.

When I had prostate surgery, my thigh went numb and the surgeon did not have answers. It was the anaesthesia, I assume. Numbness bothered me for many years, nothing I could do. I was angry. Gradually, it went away and it seems okay now.
Does this help any?

Back