Now have my own Coagucheck XS

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetmarie

Finally:biggrin2:.... I'm having a problem getting a good blood sample. Spoiled a few strips:frown2:, my fault. I didn't have to use them if I didn't think the drop was big enough, silly me. I've got my lancet device up to 5. They say not to pinch the finger, only to massage it. I had my arm down along side my body for about a minute prior. Anyone else having trouble getting a good drop? Any tricks:confused2:?
They also say to prick the side of the finger but if I can get a better sample from the middle, I don't care if there's a bit of pain, it only last for a second.

Thanks anyone.

PS: I should have used the search. We're back and forth from the cottage with no internet there. Spending very little time at home.

Marie:
What size of lancet needle are you using?
I've always used the side of my finger. I have 22gauge lancet needles and set my device at 5. That's worked best for me. I have an INRatio, but the procedure is the same for either the CoaguChek or the INRatio.
Have you tried holding your hand under very warm or hot water before pricking your finger? That might help.

Hey SM, congrats on getting the monitor !!
When my pharmacist trained me he wouldn't let me use the strip unless I got a nice big drop of blood on my
finger tip. He didn't want any wasted strips.

Anyway, you are on the right track. I use the little yellow lancets and set my device on 4.5
Have all supplies laid out on a clean table.
Wash hands with very warm water and dry with clean towel.

I stick the last finger on my left hand, just a bit off center, between the pad and fingernail bed.
Then if needed, I hold the base of the finger (near the palm of the hand) and squeeze a bit.

Keep holding the finger base and tilt the finger tip downwards and you should get a nice big drop, which you
will then hold to the left SIDE of the test strip and stay there, it will draw the blood inwards, then it will beep,
which signals that you may remove your finger from the strip area.

Then I hold a tissue on the finger tip for a few seconds followed by a Bandaid.

In the past, I've had some troubles getting a big enough drop. With my InRatio, you have to not only get that good sized drop, you have to put it on a small dot on the strip. With the XS, being able to just touch the drop to the side of the strip sounds like it's a bit easier.

Usually, I follow the suggestions made at the InRatio site -- run some warm water on your hand before testing. This seems to help the capillaries fill up with blood. I use a 21 gauge lancet (I recently got a lifetime supply of these lancets, so may wind up selling extra lancets and lancing devices), set for maximum depth. Don't be afraid to apply some pressure to the lancing device -- it helps to get a deep enough incision. I use the second or third finger on my left hand and usually incise (or lance) slightly below the nail, and a bit away from the side of the finger. If I need more blood, I try not to 'pump' it from lower down on the finger - InRatio recommends just pushing down on the fingertip just above the knuckle -- it prevents blood from flowing back down the finger, and helps to get more blood out through your incision.

I also sometimes put pressure on my fingertip, just above the knuckle, before lancing the fingertip. This seems to help get more blood into the fingertip.

I've also just recently tried some capillary tubes I got months ago. These suck the blood into the small plastic capillary device. A line shows when there's enough blood. From there, it's just a matter of squeezing the end of the tube and depositing the blood onto the strip. So far, this seems to work well for me - and I know even before putting the blood on the strip whether or not there's enough. Knowing this can help prevent wasting strips because of inadequate blood.

One thing you should know -- the strips are designed to take a drop of blood within fifteen seconds of lancing your finger. Beyond that, your blood may start to coagulate and your reading won't be accurate.

(BTW: Those capillary tubes are available from a lot of suppliers - and may also be available from Roche. I got mine for maybe 10 or 15 cents each on eBay. They seem to work just fine for me.)

Oh -- and congratulations on getting the meter. If you're like me, you'll feel empowered when you use it, knowing that you're more in control of your testing and will rarely have to visit a lab for a blood draw.

catwoman: I looked and cannot see what size the lancets are, they are a yellowish color. On the bag it's marked Softclix Lancet 20. I guess that would mean 20mm? The last time I tried, the device was at 5, max is 5.5. I did wash my hands but did not hold it under the water to warm it, I will try that next time.
My supplier threw in an extra lancing device called One Touch, haven't tried it yet. It goes from 1 to 9. There are 6 different color lancets, probably different sizes. Are the sizes written on them somewhere, need a magnifying glass?

This is what you may need to order:

coaguchek-softclix-lancet-4000209.jpg

Have you tried using the side of your baby finger? There the skin is much softer (usually) and isn't as tough as the other fingers.
Don't do the same mistake I did when I first got the monitor, I was slightly lifting up on the lancet device. Now I make sure I'm pressing down before I press the trigger.

It will take some practice, so don't get discourage.
Good Luck.

Hey, I'll add my two-bits worth when I can lol

Sweetmarie, Bina is right in regards of the pharmacy trying to pass on diabetic needles - they did it once to me. It's something to keep an eye on when you have to get more. Chances are you might have to order the yellow 21gauge from your pharmacy.
Just a heads up.

I've got some boxes of 21 gauge. One box of 200 is in assorted colors. Depending on the manufacturer, they could be practically any color. As long as they're 21 (or 22 gauge), and the lancing device is set for the deepest setting, and you press the device into your finger before pressing the button, you should get a good drop.

A box of lancets should last a LONG time. I have boxes of 100 and boxes of 200 --- and even if you test once a week, a single relatively inexpensive box should be enough for two or more years of testing.

(Sometimes pharmacies will put their larger - 21 gauge lancets on sale to clear out stock, because they don't sell nearly as many 21 gauge as they do the 31 or 33 gauge lancets for blood glucose testing. Although the price per lancet, over two or more years, isn't that much more for lancets at full retail than they are at a discount, it may not hurt just to occasionally check at your pharmacy for discounted lancets).

I met the trained pharmacist and got some first hand trainining this week. He told me that the 15 second interval can be a bit exagerated, maybe not 45 seconds but 20-23 seconds should be ok. Results may be slightly off but.... I think I was a bit tense with that time limit since the drop of blood seem to take a long time to flow. He told me that applying pressure between the first knuckle and the hand for 15-20 seconds prior to picking will get the blood built up at the tip.
Anyway, I finally was able to get a result of 3.0 with my XS immediately after returning from the clinic which later in the day reported a result of 3.06 from my blood draw. Can't get any closer than that. Hoping that I can continue in that direction. Yeahhhhhhhhh

Latest posts

Back