Novartis - CHF Drug Shows Promise

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njean

Premium Level
Supporting Member
I was just reading our local paper, and a headline caught my attention.

The article reads in part: "A new study reports one of the biggest potential advances against heart failure in more than a decade --- a first-of-a-kind, experimental drug that lowered the chances of death or hospitalization by about 20%. Doctors say the Novartis drug, which doesn't have a name yet, seems like one of those rare, break-through therapies that could quickly change care for more than half of the 6 million Americans and 24 million people worldwide who suffer with heart failure."

For those of us who suffer with Congestive Heart Failure on a daily basis, this is great news and I hope to live long enough to give it a try once it's on the market. If you want to read more on this subject, here is an online link: http://online.wsj.com/articles/novar...ths-1409396423.

Last edited:
Paleogirl;n846311 said:
I haven't got heart failure but I noticed your post and saw that you have to be subscribed to the Wall Street Journal to read the article you posted. Here's another link to an article about that medication with a lot of info about it: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...arly-year.html
I
t says the new med may be on the market next year njean !

Thank you for providing this other link, Anne!

I am very excited by this new drug and can't wait to ask my cardiologist in October what he thinks of it. I've been on Ramipril for many years now, which is considered the "gold" standard in beta-blockers.

There's always hope.....never give up!

This is a great news for everyone who is suffering from CHF! Especially since it is suppose to come to the market in one year, this is huge!

You are right Norma, one should never give up.I will keep my fingers crossed for you!

Do you mind asking me how long do you suffer from CHF? Is your CHF related to deteriorating valves? I have seen in your previous posts, that you had rheumatic fever. I had it last year (at the age of 33!) and it took forever to get the diagnosis (months!) so I was told to expect valve replacement in the future, as I had clear heart symptoms. For now my TEE looks ok, but I lost the peace of mind for sure.

In answer to your question, Newbie Slo, and I will try to make a very long story as short as I can: I had 2 mechanical valves implanted in 1975. I had rheumatic fever when I was 21 yrs. old. My aortic and mitral valves were destroyed by the fever.

These two valves were called "Cooley-Cutter valves" and were similar to the Bjork Shiley Valves. For 31 years I lived a perfectly, normal life. I was very active, participating in all sorts of outdoor activities without any problems.

Then in 2005 I started feeling symptoms of CHF. One thing led to another and off I go to Houston to have one of the mechanical valves (aortic) swapped out with a St. Jude Valve. The old valve had become obstructed with scar (pannus) tissue. At the time the surgeon performed the surgery, the mechanical mitral valve was working fine so he decided to leave well enough alone and did not swap it out. Unfortunately, a year later, the CHF symptoms returned and it was found out that now the Mitral mechanical was struggling, also because of scar tissue. And to my dismay, the doctors were reluctant to perform another OHS because they believe and still do, that the surgery would be very high risk and I may not survive this one!

So, I was sent home with all sorts of added medications to help the CHF and here I am. Don't get me wrong, I am very much grateful in a way that the doctors made that decision but there are days that I really feel terrible and wish they had taken the risk. So, I'm in a Catch 22 situation.

The doctors are keeping a close eye on me and say that surgery is not completely off the table but they will not attempt it unless it's a do or die situation!

That's why I'm so excited about this new drug and hope that when it does become available, I will be able to benefit from it!

Norma, thank you so much for sharing your story and letting me know, that you led normal life for many years.

I do hope and believe that you will be able to benefit from the new drug!

Njean, I wish you the best of luck with the new drug! they may have clinical trials to take advantage of. It's great how everyone is so open about their experiences, it is so helpful to read, and know that we're not alone dealing with our heart issues. My situation is I was just hit with the inevitable news that I need valve replacement, which is 7 yrs after an aneurysm repair, and replacement of my ascending aorta. My current Doc said he only recommends the St. Jude's valve but the On-X seems more attractive to me. Although I love my Doc, I'm planning to get a second opinion. Have you thought of that for yourself? I was actually mis-diagnosed the first time, and it was the second opinion that saved my life. Lil

Lilac927;n846994 said:
Njean, I wish you the best of luck with the new drug! they may have clinical trials to take advantage of. It's great how everyone is so open about their experiences, it is so helpful to read, and know that we're not alone dealing with our heart issues. My situation is I was just hit with the inevitable news that I need valve replacement, which is 7 yrs after an aneurysm repair, and replacement of my ascending aorta. My current Doc said he only recommends the St. Jude's valve but the On-X seems more attractive to me. Although I love my Doc, I'm planning to get a second opinion. Have you thought of that for yourself? I was actually mis-diagnosed the first time, and it was the second opinion that saved my life. Lil

Sorry that I am just now getting to read and respond to your post.

First of all, I can relate to the sadness and frustration you must feel that you need valve replacement just 7 years out of the already traumatic enough experience of having an aneurysm repair. "Life just doesn't seem to be fair" does it? Some of us just have to deal with one thing after another, however, we have to keep trying!

I also thank you for recommending a 2nd opinion but the way I see it, I already feel that I have some of the finest doctors in the land monitoring my heart situation and all of my heart history is there, at THI. If I go to another institution, they won't don't know first hand what the situation is and I won't feel comfortable knowing they don't know.....do you understand what mean?

Knowing that the doctors do not want to operate unless it's a "do or die" situation, is not comforting to hear, I know, but that's what it is and I have to deal with it! That's why I'm so hopeful for this new drug because, maybe, just maybe, I can get off some of the other meds and not have to take so many darn pills!

Wishing you all the luck in the world with your 2nd opinion. I pray you don't have to have another OHS but if you do, I'll be praying for you and keeping you in my thoughts!

Latest posts

Back